About 10,000 people participated in the online nomination and voting process, according to Arlington Economic Development, which sponsors the annual contest. That’s about twice as many nominations and votes as last year.
Among the big winners were Northside Social, voted Arlington’s Best New Business, and Lost Dog Cafe, the only business to win in two categories.
The winners, which will announced at the county board meeting that’s getting underway now, are:
- Best Boutique: ShoeFly
- Best Brunch: Carlyle
- Best Community-Based Nonprofit: AFAC
- Best Customer Service: Eventide
- Best Dessert: Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe
- Best Late Night Spot: Bob and Edith’s
- Best Performing Arts Organization: Signature Theatre
- Best Place to Care for Your Pet: Ballston Animal Hospital
- Best Place to Dance the Night Away: Clarendon Ballroom
- Best Place to Learn Something New: Arlington Public Library
- Best Happy Hour: Liberty Tavern
- Best Neighborhood Bar: Whitlow’s on Wilson
- Best “Bargain” Restaurant: Lost Dog Café
- Best Family Friendly Restaurant: Lost Dog Café
- Best New Business: Northside Social
The incumbent winners from 2009 had a particularly strong showing. Only the Best New Business, Best Happy Hour, and Best Customer Service categories changed hands this year.