Arlington is preparing to demolish the old Arlington Mill Community Center to make way for a brand new community center in 2013.
Due to some expected minor disruptions, Arlington County staff will be presenting information about the demolition plan at a public meeting
next week. Update at 1/3 — The meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 4 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Greenbrier Baptist Church (5401 7th Road South).
In case you can’t make it, here’s an executive summary:
- No explosives will be used in the demolition, which will begin in January
- No road closures are expected
- Traffic and transit on Columbia Pike will not be affected
- Pedestrian access will be maintained on surrounding streets
- The demolition will take 30 to 45 days, weather permitting
- Debris from the site will be hauled from South Dinwiddie Street to Columbia Pike to South Four Mile Run Drive
- Construction on the new Arlington Mill Center is expected to begin in the spring
- Another informational meeting will be held regarding the construction plan