Circuit Court Judge Louise M. DiMatteo imposed the jury’s sentencing for 54-year-old Rodolfo Hernandez-Suazo — which included 50 years for rape, 25 years for abduction with intent to defile and 5 years for incest — but ordered that the sentences run concurrently.
Hernandez-Suazo lured his then 22-year-old daughter to a south Arlington hotel room last year, claiming he was going to complete some maintenance work there. Once both were at the hotel, Hernandez-Suazo forced sex on his daughter.
Prosecutors say Hernandez-Suazo then told the daughter to take a shower, but she did not end up doing so. As a result, after she reported the crime to police several hours later, investigators from the Arlington County Police Department Special Victims Unit were able to retrieve DNA evidence from her.
Hernandez-Suazo had been estranged from his daughter since leaving El Salvador about 20 years ago. They were reunited in 2009, when the daughter came to the United States to live with her mother, but she broke off contact after Hernandez-Suazo touched her inappropriately. He then re-initiated contact last year, leading to the incident in the hotel room.
“The victim held the understandable but misguided belief that she and the defendant could at last have a normal father-daughter relationship. Unfortunately he turned out to be a predator, not a parent,” said Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Lisa Tingle. “Her courage in coming forward should give others similar strength knowing that our community treats these offenses with the utmost seriousness.”
In this week’s Arlington County crime report, a man pulls a gun on his ex-boyfriend on Valentine’s Day, leading to a struggle. The victim manages to take away the suspect’s gun, and the suspect flees. Ironically, this scene played out only one block from police headquarters in Courthouse.
ABDUCTION 02/14/11, 2000 block of N. 15th Street. On February 14 at 6:50 pm, a man was walking to his car when his ex-boyfriend approached him displaying a firearm. The suspect attempted to force the victim into a car, and the two struggled. The victim was able to recover the weapon and call police. The suspect fled. Warrants are pending.
The rest of the crime report, after the jump.
It’s looking increasingly likely that Jorge Torrez will face charges in connection with the murder of two young girls in Zion, Ill. back in 2005, a case that captivated Chicago and made national news at the time.
Charges were dropped today against the man who was originally accused of the crime. Jerry Hobbs, who confessed to the gruesome murders but later said the confession was coerced, has been released from prison, according to Chicago Breaking News.
Lake County, Ill. prosecutors are expected to hold a press conference later this morning to discuss “new information” in the case. That information is likely revolve around Jorge Torrez, a former Marine currently being held in Arlington on charges of abduction and rape.
DNA evidence in the case reportedly linked Torrez to the murders last month. Torrez used to live in Zion and was close friends with the older brother of one of the victims.
Jorge “George” Torrez, a Marine who’s being held at the Arlington County Detention Center on charges of abduction and rape, has been linked via DNA to a double homicide outside Chicago, his attorney confirmed to ARLnow.com today.
Attorney Denman Rucker said he was contacted by investigators but had no further information about how the DNA test was performed or whether the test was “legitimate.”
The crime that Torrez is being linked to occurred in 2005.
Laura Hobbs and Krystal Tobias, ages 8 and 9, were found repeatedly stabbed in a park in the lakeside city of Zion, Ill. Jerry Hobbs, Laura’s, confessed to the crime after a 20-hour interrogation, but later said the confession of coerced, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Prosecutors pressed the case against Hobbs despite the fact that his DNA did not match semen found on one of the girls’ body and clothing. He has been held in jail for five years. The DNA was matched to a new suspect last month, prosecutors told the Tribune.
Torrez’s sister, who lives in Zion, says investigators told her that evidence points to her brother. Sara Torrez says Jorge, 21, was friends with Tobias’ brother, but says she believes her brother is innocent.
So far, Torrez has not been charged in connection with the murders. Arlington County authorities have been alerted to the DNA link and are following the case.
In Illinois, meanwhile, a court hearing that may result in Hobbs’ release has been set for July 21.
The Zion murders achieved infamy in Chicago and received national media attention. In an 2005 interview with Greta Van Susteren of Fox News Channel, Lake County, Ill. prosecutor Michael Waller defended the prosecution of Hobbs even though there were inconsistencies with his confession.
“It’s not unusual to have a defendant give untruths in a statement where he admits his guilt. It’s something we deal with all the time,” he said.
Waller also explained why Sheila Hollabaugh, the mother of Laura Hobbs, maintained that her boyfriend was innocent.
“It’s not unusual for the girlfriend or the wife to stick with the defendant,” Waller said. “If that happens in this case, you know, I won’t be surprised.”
Jorge “George” Torrez, a 21-year-old Marine stationed at Fort Myer’s Henderson Hall, was arrested over the weekend and charged in the Feb. 10 attempted abduction of a woman from the 1700 block of N. Quincy Street.
Torrez is also suspected in the abduction, sexual assault and near-fatal beating of a woman from N. Wakefield Street in Ballston early Saturday morning, according to police.
Now police are suggesting that Torrez might have been involved in an assault that occurred just an hour before Saturday’s alleged abduction. The assault occurred in the 4500 block of N. 4th Street at 3:00 a.m., according to police. That’s less than a mile from where the Ballston abduction took place, at 4:00 a.m.
Police say a man followed a woman up to her house, forced her inside, then used a stun gun on her. The woman yelled, waking up her roommate, and the suspect fled, according to investigators. Police say the assault is “believed to be connected” to Torrez.
Arlington Police Make Arrest in Abduction Case — A Marine based at Fort Myer’s Henderson Hall has been arrested and charged with abduction and robbery. Jorge “George” Torrez, 21, is accused of robbing and trying to abduct a woman from the 1700 block of N. Quincy Street on February 10. Torrez is also a suspect in the abduction of a woman from the 600 block of N. Wakefield St. in Ballston early Saturday morning, according to Arlington police. The woman was found raped and left for dead in Prince William County after an extensive search by several law enforcement agencies. More from the Washington Post.
Planes Clip Wings at Reagan National Airport — Two US Airways were involved in a minor collision while on the tarmac at Reagan National Saturday morning. Nobody was injured, but both planes were taken out of service and passengers were booked on other flights. More from ABC7.
Arlington Spent $5 Million on Snow Removal — Arlington County spent $5 million on snow removal this winter, five times the normal snow removal budget. No word yet on how much of the budget went to the contractors who helped keep streets passable during February’s big snow storms. More from the Sun Gazette.