Because they acknowledged they want kids to eat the food, not throw it away.
1.The nutrition regulations are the work of the Department of Agriculture. Ms. Obama clearly endorses them, but they are not, "Michelle Obama's federal lunch regulations."
2.An explicitly stated goal is to ensure that children in low- or no-income neighborhoods, generally urban or rural and often heavily minority, get at least one nutritious, non-fattening meal each day.
3. Such disadvantaged neighborhoods bear absolutely no resemblance to Arlington demographics. Our’s is not a typical school district where kids can just wait and just hop in their BMWs and go to McDonald's.
4. If these kids have come to believe that food you don't particularly like can just be thrown aside, they probably reached that conclusion long before they got to a high school cafeteria.
5. NS’s concern seems not to be that the kids preferred to eat unhealthy fatty, sugary and salty food, but that money was lost. Priorities?
6. It's as if the American kids for whom the food program was primarily designed, black and brown and from economically and nutritionally hard-pressed communities, are irrelevant or even nonexistent. It costs money, and white upscale students don't need it, so let's dump it. Also, one of the Obamas is behind it. Case closed is that your opinion, NS?
7. Some of the complaints are certainly valid, and the USDA has already acknowledged that they need to make good nutrition taste better and may have set the calorie limits for teenagers too low.
You odn’t have to be black or b rown to buy school lunches. Not everyone gets the handout that buys school lunch. I bought my lunch every day in school because we didn’t have accecss to fridges. I didn’t want to get food poisoning from lugging around a lunch all morning.
@NS wrote, “I bought my lunch every day in school”
And your milk cost two cents? Because it was subsidized by the Government. SOCIALISM! Time to write a check and give back those Commie Cents? eh?
@NS: MOVE YET? Try Alabama, their kids are among the most undernourished. And there are plenty of refrigerators in front yards next to the busted washing machines. Move there and play your game.
@sansabelt: you don’t read the right and accurate news sources. the story is all over the wacko, obama bashing, NS loving press. :-)
Funny that the fat lard Rush Limbaugh is complaining about food! :-)
@NS: So you bought your lunch just so you didn’t get food poisoning? Ever hear of P&J sandwiches. No refrigeration needed. You sound pretty privileged to me.
Regardless of how you feel about the President, it’s absolutely ridiculous and insane to criticize the first lady for trying to ensure kids are healthier.
At QTR: I know, right? It seems a lot of conservative really, really hate Michelle Obama. I wonder what she represents to them?
@Hank wrote, “It seems a lot of conservative really, really hate Michelle Obama. I wonder what she represents to them?”
As a smart, intelligent, strong black woman, she represents to conservatives the losing of power and influence. See, conservatives are wimps. Libertarians also.
Dezlboy: I think for a lot of folks, that description is accurate. It’s very similar to the backlash Hillary Clinton used to get. And I think other people would prefer first ladies stay out of the lime light unless it’s an expose on how they’ve decorated the White House.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.