Home > General Discussion > How to Petition for traffic light study/change (Columbia Pike/Joyce)

How to Petition for traffic light study/change (Columbia Pike/Joyce)
  • E2DAV December 16, 2012 - 8:16 pm #61327 Reply

    This is in regard to the Columbia Pike/S. Joyce interchange.

    I ride the 16 bus every day and it seems to be more and more of a choke point for traffic.  It is not uncommon to sit through 5 or 6 cycles of lights coming off of Joyce and taking a left on Columbia Pike.


    I have ideas such as 1) making the light cycle longer or 2) adding a left turn signal to the light.  I realize that the intersection has a fair amount of traffic but it does not have a lot of pedestrians; so it should not take the ten to fifteen minutes to pass through it.

    Does anyone know the most effective way to try and change this?

    CrystalMikey December 17, 2012 - 12:27 pm #61375 Reply

    Wait for the Pike realignment…is what the County will say.

    Arlington, SSR December 17, 2012 - 1:09 pm #61382 Reply

    Maybe try the streetlight form as a starting point and then maybe they’ll tell you someone else to try?


    There’s also a Traffic Calming site that may have POCs:


    calmpanda December 17, 2012 - 4:55 pm #61410 Reply

    From: http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/EnvironmentalServices/dot/traffic/signals/EnvironmentalServicesHb16.aspx

      The County has created a 24-hour Traffic Signal Hotline so drivers can report any glitches in the County's new state-of-the-art system.

    • Drivers who encounter green lights that seem unusually short - or red lights that are unusually long - are invited to report the problem on the new recorded Traffic Signal Hotline at 703-228-6511 (TTY 703-228-4611). 
    • Drivers should provide their name and telephone number, and the location of the traffic signal. Technicians will inspect each signal reported on the hotline.
    • <link to problem-reporting form, go to page for link>

    For more information about the traffic system, telephone the County’s Transportation Engineering Division Call Center at 703-228-6570.

    E2DAV December 20, 2012 - 12:34 pm #61797 Reply

    calmpanda - Thank you for the information.  I called both and this was very helpful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


Subscribe to our mailing list