56°Rain

Home > General Discussion > Old school Arlington question

Old school Arlington question
  • Rick June 14, 2012 - 4:49 pm #50959 Reply

    Might be aging myself a little here, but does anyone remember Hsian Foong, the chinese place on Washington between Garfield and Filmore? It was in a strip with a 7-eleven, and an Ollies Trolley in the parking lot. The strip was razed for housing maybe 10 or 15 years ago? but was curious if anyone knows if those folks reopened or just called it a day. Never remembered it being particularly crowded but I certainly enjoyed it.

    gnushell June 14, 2012 - 4:56 pm #50960 Reply

    I remember that place.  It was actually pretty good.  I don't know if they opened elsewhere and I did try to find them.

    Bluemontsince1961 June 15, 2012 - 7:17 am #50961 Reply

    Rick said:

    Might be aging myself a little here, but does anyone remember Hsian Foong, the chinese place on Washington between Garfield and Filmore? It was in a strip with a 7-eleven, and an Ollies Trolley in the parking lot. The strip was razed for housing maybe 10 or 15 years ago? but was curious if anyone knows if those folks reopened or just called it a day. Never remembered it being particularly crowded but I certainly enjoyed it.

    I've never heard of any reopening, Rick.  Hsian Foong had some GREAT Chinese food!  Wah Ying (which was in the shopping center at Lee Highway & Spout Run Pkwy) was another great place that was a favorite of my family.  My dad got to be friends with the owner over the years.  I miss both places, they always had good food at a very good price.

    NorthArlingTim June 15, 2012 - 10:33 am #50962 Reply

    YES, I remember Hsian Foong – first time I ever had General Tso's chicken and still the best Tso's I've ever had.  I also very much miss their pickled cabbage.  There was another one eons ago at where the Rhodeside Grill (or whatever) is, but that one also disappeared decades ago.  I remember talking to the owner at the first location back then and he said he was calling it off.  I ordered from there so often that he recognized my voice on the phone. 

    Anyone remember Dremos when it was Bardo's?  With the half car constantly being moved around? 

    And I do miss the tombstone place.  It was unique. 

    FrenchyB June 15, 2012 - 4:29 pm #50963 Reply

    Yep, I liked Hsiang Foong as well.

     

    And I do remember (and miss) Bardo…

    Arlingtoon June 15, 2012 - 4:52 pm #50964 Reply

    They had what I remember as being very good food.  First time I ever had Dandan noodles (which remain a favorite).

    I also believe that they had a reputation for feeding the homeless guys who were in the neighborhood.  Nothing fancy, but I remember having lunch in there and seeing homeless guys come in and walk away with a container of rice.  They didn't shoo them away the way many places would.

    Good people and good food.

    nom de guerre July 20, 2012 - 4:34 pm #50965 Reply

    I thought I was the only one to remember Hsian Foong.  The owner told me the name meant “fragrant wind.”   Original restaurant was located at 10th, Washington Blvd. and N. Garfield St., next to 7-11 and Ollie's Trolley and in front of Arlington Truck Rental.  They opened another that was located in a former People's Drug store at N. Rhodes and Wilson Blvd.  I have yet to have Chinese food that was as good-enjoyed their complimentary pickled cabbage and broccoli appetizer, not to mention their Mai Tai's.

    novasteve July 20, 2012 - 4:49 pm #50966 Reply

    nom de guerre said:

    I thought I was the only one to remember Hsian Foong.  The owner told me the name meant “fragrant wind.”   Original restaurant was located at 10th, Washington Blvd. and N. Garfield St., next to 7-11 and Ollie’s Trolley and in front of Arlington Truck Rental.  They opened another that was located in a former People’s Drug store at N. Rhodes and Wilson Blvd.  I have yet to have Chinese food that was as good-enjoyed their complimentary pickled cabbage and broccoli appetizer, not to mention their Mai Tai’s.

    Ollie's Trolley (Arlington Virginia)

     

    Found a pic of it.

    nom de guerre July 20, 2012 - 5:01 pm #50967 Reply

    Good work-brings back positive memories.

    novasteve July 20, 2012 - 5:04 pm #50968 Reply

    nom de guerre said:

    Good work-brings back positive memories.

    I didn't live here back that, but I have fond memories of my childhood in the Rockville area of Victoria Station and even Valleys. They had really sweet bars, for chain restaurants, though of course as a kid I couldn't drink.

    Penrosey July 20, 2012 - 8:45 pm #50969 Reply

    I seem to also remember a Cambodian restaurant in the space where Ray's Hell Burger is now.

    yards555 July 23, 2012 - 9:24 am #50970 Reply

    That Ray's Hell Burger space has changed a lot

    novasteve July 23, 2012 - 9:53 am #50971 Reply

    Arlingtonian said:

    I seem to also remember a Cambodian restaurant in the space where Ray’s Hell Burger is now.

    I used to go to Pho 75 in the summer of 1995, was interning at the state department, and I wasn't familiar at all with ARlington. But it was so much different back then when I think about it now. Almost unrecognizable.

    neerveer July 24, 2012 - 7:27 pm #50972 Reply

    Yes, I remember that place. The times I was there, for Ollie Trolleys fries…the place had sheer white curtains that were always closed and a limo out front.

    Why do you ask?

    Rick July 24, 2012 - 8:09 pm #50973 Reply

    neerveer said:

    Yes, I remember that place. The times I was there, for Ollie Trolleys fries…the place had sheer white curtains that were always closed and a limo out front.

    Why do you ask?

    Rick said:

    …but was curious if anyone knows if those folks reopened or just called it a day… 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×

Subscribe to our mailing list