62°Partly Cloudy

Home > General Discussion > Tax Referral

Tax Referral
  • BallstonNOTBoston January 10, 2013 - 11:59 am #62952 Reply

    It’s that time of the year and I’m in the market for a new tax guy/gal.

    Previous years I’ve used a local guy who runs his own shop – he made a massive error on my 2011 return resulting in fees/fines from the IRS.

    I’d prefer not to use H&R, TurboTax, etc…

    Called some offices in the Arlington/Alexandria area and was quoted $300/350 for married 2012 filing/refund.  That seems rather steep…

    Anyone know some folks?

    JamesE January 10, 2013 - 12:13 pm #62954 Reply


    kainarl January 10, 2013 - 1:07 pm #62959 Reply

    This is who we use.   He is great!  Lives in Arlington.  He is convenient, professional, and reasonable.  Hope it helps!
    Tax Matters, LLC
    Robert Grohs, CPA
    tel  703.593.7391

    LP January 10, 2013 - 1:40 pm #62964 Reply

    If you don’t mind me asking, what is “reasonable”?

    BallstonNOTBoston January 10, 2013 - 2:07 pm #62968 Reply

    thanks kainarl – i’ll check him out.

    @ LP – under $200 is reasonable in my book.   We rent, no kids, minimal deductions so ‘it’ can’t be that difficult of a filing.

    JamesE January 10, 2013 - 2:20 pm #62973 Reply

    If you rent, have no kids, and minimal deductions you should probably save the money and do your taxes yourself.  Do your deductions even break the $5k standard?

    yrb January 10, 2013 - 3:07 pm #62976 Reply

    For $200 they’ll just enter your info into their software and print results, the same software you can use yourself.

    You won’t get an expert doing your taxes for $200.

    novasteve January 10, 2013 - 5:46 pm #62958 Reply

    What do you have that’s so complex you don’t wish to use turbo tax etc?

    aewaiw January 14, 2013 - 3:25 pm #63194 Reply

    TurboTax is not for everyone. Just because you like it doesn’t mean someone with no experience should use it. The dollar and time costs of making a mistake on your tax return far out weigh what you pay your accountant.

    UA January 14, 2013 - 3:55 pm #63208 Reply

    I have tried them all:  Accountants/H&R Block reps /Turbotax and H&R online.. Love H&R block online by far, I have to get the deluxe; it runs about $50 with sending efile for state.  I like that it is real time (change a figure and watch your amount change.  Easy to find the sweet spot if you have the options of splitting a deduction (mortage deduction).

    NoVapologist January 14, 2013 - 4:47 pm #63210 Reply

    I have used H&R Block (Vienna office) for years and love them.  They also compensate you if they mess up your returns, which would have helped the OP.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


Subscribe to our mailing list