58°Partly Cloudy

Home > General Discussion > The Hot Mess that we call Key Elementary School

The Hot Mess that we call Key Elementary School
  • John Fontain August 23, 2012 - 10:55 am #58793 Reply

    Every year, hundreds of parents outside the normal boundaries of Key Elementary desperately want their kids to get into the school for its Spanish immersion program.  Those that don’t get in are extremely disappointed.  Those that do get selected are overjoyed.  And then school begins and the parents realize what a hot mess the school is.

    It’s only fair to future prospective students and their parents that existing parents fess up and spill the beans about what a mess the school is.  So let’s hear it here...

    Captain_Obvious August 23, 2012 - 10:58 am #58794 Reply

    John Fontain said:

    Every year, hundreds of parents outside the normal boundaries of Key Elementary desperately want their kids to get into the school for its Spanish immersion program.  Those that don't get in are extremely disappointed.  Those that do get selected are overjoyed.  And then school begins and the parents realize what a hot mess the school is.

    It's only fair to future prospective students and their parents that existing parents fess up and spill the beans about what a mess the school is.  So let's hear it here...

    Please go in more detail about this hot mess…I am totally uninformed about this. 

    Theakston August 23, 2012 - 11:23 am #58795 Reply

    Captain_Obvious said:

    John Fontain said:

    Every year, hundreds of parents outside the normal boundaries of Key Elementary desperately want their kids to get into the school for its Spanish immersion program.  Those that don’t get in are extremely disappointed.  Those that do get selected are overjoyed.  And then school begins and the parents realize what a hot mess the school is.

    It’s only fair to future prospective students and their parents that existing parents fess up and spill the beans about what a mess the school is.  So let’s hear it here...

    Please go in more detail about this hot mess…I am totally uninformed about this. 

    So, apparently, is John Fontain..but it didn't stop him starting a thread on the subject! Confused

    John Fontain August 23, 2012 - 12:37 pm #58796 Reply

    I think it would be more useful for the parents of Key students to come forward and describe the problems first hand rather than to have me report the stories I've heard from them.  Will they be willing to come forward and do so to be honest with newly enrolling families?  Maybe not.

    To get the ball rolling, one example I've heard is that they release the kids from school out different sets of doors on different days without any rhyme or reason.  The parents stand on one side of the school waiting for their kids only to realize the kids have been let out on that particular day on the other side of the school.  Meanwhile the kids come out of school and don't see their parents and get upset and melt down in tears.  The end result is parents frantically running from side to side of the school to make sure their kids aren't sent out where the parents aren't waiting for them.

    Key parents, care to share your experiences?

    Captain_Obvious August 23, 2012 - 12:56 pm #58797 Reply

    John Fontain said:

    I think it would be more useful for the parents of Key students to come forward and describe the problems first hand rather than to have me report the stories I've heard from them.  Will they be willing to come forward and do so to be honest with newly enrolling families?  Maybe not.

    To get the ball rolling, one example I've heard is that they release the kids from school out different sets of doors on different days without any rhyme or reason.  The parents stand on one side of the school waiting for their kids only to realize the kids have been let out on that particular day on the other side of the school.  Meanwhile the kids come out of school and don't see their parents and get upset and melt down in tears.  The end result is parents frantically running from side to side of the school to make sure their kids aren't sent out where the parents aren't waiting for them.

    Key parents, care to share your experiences?

    That sounds…dumb.  After the first time that happens, I hope parents would figure it out and just tell their kids to meet up at a certain spot everyday.

    Glebe Roader August 23, 2012 - 1:36 pm #58798 Reply

    Seems like the original poster is trying to stir up trouble but isn't getting many bites.  If the OP has something to say about it, he should just say it.

    Captain_Obvious August 23, 2012 - 1:40 pm #58799 Reply

    Glebe Roader said:

    Seems like the original poster is trying to stir up trouble but isn't getting many bites.  If the OP has something to say about it, he should just say it.

    Clearly, and he +1 his own post too.  He's obviously upset his kid gets let out the back door.  If this “issue” is considered the hot mess at this school, then I feel sorry for the kids and the school who deal with these parents…

    OldLee August 24, 2012 - 11:52 am #58800 Reply

    Wow.  OK.  Key parent here, three years in , love it.  Kid loves it. We do extended day, but I am there sometimes at close of school.  Kids get released in waves, based on walkers or bus riders.  Walkers are released from a back door.  Without exception, based on the days I have been there at that time.  Bus kids are lined up in the gym and go out as their bus pulls up. It all seem quite organized to me.  I get email blasts when a bus is late (even though my kid doesn't ride).

    And that's just to address that guy's “point”, or what he “heard”.  Overall, the education andcultural diversity is amazing.  And my child, unlike others in the this country (but just like others around the world) will grow up speaking AT LEAST two languages.

    For the life of me I cannot comprehend why the OP would start this thread?

    Captain_Obvious August 24, 2012 - 11:59 am #58801 Reply

    OldLee said:

    For the life of me I cannot comprehend why the OP would start this thread?

    Cause Trolls are always hungry…

    John Fontain August 24, 2012 - 12:31 pm #58802 Reply

    Captain – I get it.  You like calling people trolls regardless of whether you have any real basis for knowing whether a topic was started out of a legitimate desire for discussion or not.  You don't need to belabor the point.

    OldLee- Thanks for your post.  Maybe the issue with the release location is that there were instances of kids being put in the wrong group (bus vs. walkers) on multiple occasions, thus causing the parents to have to run around the school.  Anyway, thanks for corroborating the two exit set-up that I've heard people complain about.  I'm glad you didn't experience that problem. 

    None of my kids go to Key, but I know many families who send their kids there.  While they speak highly of the multi-language aspect, they also have spoke of lots of disorganization and other problems at the school.  I'm surprised there aren't any Key parents willing to come on here and be frank about some of the problems they experience.  Maybe some will.

    OldLee August 24, 2012 - 2:21 pm #58803 Reply

    John Fontain said:

    Anyway, thanks for corroborating the two exit set-up that I've heard people complain about.  I'm glad you didn't experience that problem. 

     

    As an engaged parent, I have never heard of anyone complain about the exit procedures.  It's quite simple, and a necessary way to separate the kids based on the way they will get home.  There is no reason for parents to “wait” at the bus egress door.  That is for kids taking the bus.  If the parents are waiting, there is one spot. It is kind of disingenuous to imply that my simply pointing out the way it works somehow supports your notion that it is a problem.  It really is quite the opposite.

    And to the community, apologies if I am feeding a troll too much.  This just still makes no sense to me.

    John Fontain August 24, 2012 - 2:53 pm #58804 Reply

    I in no way implied that you agreed it was a problem.  In fact, I specifically said, “I'm glad you didn't experience that problem.”  My point was the Captain said I was making everything up, but you confirmed that there were in fact two separate exits which was the cause of one of the many complaints I've heard about the school.

    OldLee August 24, 2012 - 3:07 pm #58805 Reply

    If it is a complaint, then then it is not the fault of the school. If parents are picking up their child that is a “walker”, there is only ONE place for them to wait.  One exit, not two, not many.  Only one. If parents wait at the bus exit, then there is no one to blame but the parent that is looking in the wrong place for their child.    The teachers escort the kids out.  It's all very organized.  By class and grade.  So, to be clear, this is not a problem at Key.

    newty25 August 24, 2012 - 3:11 pm #58806 Reply

    John Fontain said:

    I in no way implied that you agreed it was a problem.  In fact, I specifically said, “I'm glad you didn't experience that problem.”  My point was the Captain said I was making everything up, but you confirmed that there were in fact two separate exits which was the cause of one of the many complaints I've heard about the school.

    You should fight each other on the sidelines of a soccer or baseball field.  Bickering parent fights are awesome.

     

    Don't forget to toss in a few windmills and haymakers for the bystanders.

    Theakston August 24, 2012 - 3:44 pm #58807 Reply

    John Fontain said:

     many complaints I’ve heard about the school.

    So far you've only come up with one…and that one proved to be baseless

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×

Subscribe to our mailing list