Editor’s Note: Healthy Paws is a column sponsored and written by the owners of Clarendon Animal Care, a full-service, general practice veterinary clinic. The clinic is located 3000 10th Street N., Suite B. and can be reached at 703-997-9776.
While your pet is likely already at the top of the holiday shopping list (because who doesn’t love shopping for our pets?!), in case you needed some ideas, here are a few of our favorite pet and pet-lover gift ideas:
- Dog Blueprints (and Cat Blueprints) — Super cute prints of your favorite species. Available in “mutt” too.
- Slow feeder bowls — For the dog or cat that eats their food before it’s hit the bowl! These nifty bowls help to slow down eating times and also provide entertainment for your pet.
- Flik-it ball tosser — In case you have a sore arm from tossing the ball over and over…and over and over…and over and over…
- Furminator — This shedding tool is amazing! You could probably create a new pet with the hair will get off.
- An airplane cat house — The picture says it all!
- L.L.Bean pet beds — Easily washable, and generous sizing to boot.
- BarkBox — A monthly box of goodies, delivered to your door! They come with size-appropriate toys and treats and keep those dogs active and engaged.
- Meowbox — Get unique cat toys and treats every month! These toys and treats are selected to cater to your kitty’s discriminating taste.
- ASPCA Slip-On — Stylish and supports a great cause!
- GPS Tracking Collars — While your pet might object to “big brother” following his or her every move, this could prove invaluable if they aren’t so well-versed in the “come” command or tend to venture off on their own. (And if nothing else it can be entertaining to follow their whereabouts during the day.)
- The Animal Welfare League of Arlington has a wish list of needed items
- Lucky Dog Rescue is always looking for food and supplies to care for their fosters
- Homeward Trails is always in need of animal, cleaning and office supplies
At Clarendon Animal Care, we have donation collection boxes set up for the Animal Welfare League of Arlington and Lucky Dog Rescue. Drop off needed goods and we’ll get them delivered at the end of the month!
We hope everyone and their fur-kids have a safe, healthy and love-filled holiday.
The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
In loving memory of Joseph Robert Kapacziewski, who passed away in 2023 at the age of 41.
In loving memory of James Stuart Edmonds, who passed away in 2023 at the age of 84.
A man was shot in front of a lounge on Columbia Pike early this morning, continuing a string of violent incidents.
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 17124 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today —…
YULA’s ultimate frisbee spring season is now open for registration. We offer programs for middle and high schoolers – open to all players, whether they are new or have previous experience.Middle SchoolIn the Middle School league, mixed-gender teams practice once during the week and have games on Sunday afternoons. Spring league is a fun, safe, and positive environment. The season begins mid-March and wraps up with a tournament in early June. There are several options for practice days, so we can often work around schedule conflicts with other sports & activities.High SchoolThe High School program is organized by school of attendance and teams are classified by gender. New players will learn the basics in a supportive, welcoming environment. Experienced players will continue to develop their skills, and enjoy competition with other high school programs. The season concludes with a state level championship tournament in late May.All players are guided by experienced coaches who emphasize sportsmanship and good spirit. Ultimate is a fun sport with great camaraderie!YULA does not want finances to limit anyone from participating. Our middle school program offers a “Pay What You Can” cost structure and our our high school program is offering a $50 discount to new players.Visit our website to register and learn more. Sign up with a friend, but don’t delay, the season starts in March!http://www.yula-ulti.org
The Arlington-Aachen High School exchange is returning this summer and currently accepting applicants.
The sister-city partnership started in 1993 by the Arlington Sister Cities Association, which seeks to promote Arlington’s international profile through a variety of exchanges in education, commerce, culture and the arts. The exchange, scheduled June 17th to July 4th, includes a two-week homestay in Aachen plus three days in Berlin. Knowledge of the German language is not required for the trip.
Former participants have this to say:
_”The Aachen exchange was an eye-opening experience where I was fully immersed in the life of a German student. I loved biking through the countryside to Belgium, having gelato and picnics in the town square, and hanging out with my German host student’s friends. My first time out of the country, the Aachen exchange taught me to keep an open mind, because you never know what could be a life changing experience.” – Kelly M._
Valentine gifts for someone special or for yourself are here at George Mason University from noon -4pm on February 14, 2023. Satisfy your sweet tooth with Kingsbury Chocolates, find a handmade bag from Karina Gaull, pick up treats from Village