Editor’s Note: Healthy Paws is a column sponsored and written by the owners of Clarendon Animal Care, a full-service, general practice veterinary clinic. The clinic is located 3000 10th Street N., Suite B. and can be reached at 703-997-9776.
We understand that taking your pet to the veterinarian can be sometimes be stressful or frustrating. At Clarendon Animal Care, we use numerous stress-free techniques to make the visit easier for you and your pet. But below are a few tips that can help any veterinary visit run a bit more smoothly:
- Accustom your pet to its carrier and to traveling in the car. Positive reinforcement along with a gradual (re)introduction can go a long way win pets that are apprehensive about the car/carrier.
- If your veterinarian doesn’t already have your pet’s medical record on file, bring it with you or have your previous veterinary team send or fax the records — or, at a minimum, bring your own notes on your pet’s health and medical history. Don’t send your pet with a person who doesn’t have the information the vet will need to help your pet — or if you have to do this, thoroughly document your pet’s current condition on paper and make sure you’re available by phone to answer questions that may come up. If possible, having records sent in advance of your appointment will allow us to review them more thoroughly for a more meaningful conversation during your appointment.
- Arrive on time or a few minutes early for your appointment. This allows time for any paperwork as well as allows everyone to be a little less rushed.
- Unless your children can generally behave without distracting you or interfering with your veterinary team’s ability to examine or treat your pet or talk to you about your pet, consider leaving your children with a babysitter while you take your pet to the veterinarian. That said, we are parents of small children ourselves and try to make it a fun experience for kids — we have some small children’s toys and generally enjoy indulging inquisitive young kids. But, if you know having your kids with you will be a major distraction, finding an alternative activity for them will allow for a more efficient and effective visit.
- Turn your cell phone off while you are in the exam room. This allows for fewer distractions while we discuss your pet.
- Know what medications your pet is receiving (including supplements), as well as how much, how often and how long it is given, and/or bring them with you. A written list, including dosages, is also helpful!
- Share your observations and concerns with your veterinarian – after all, you know your pet better than anyone else does. Don’t hesitate to bring up your observations and concerns no matter how small or insignificant they may seem.
- Ask questions and ask again until you have a good understanding of what’s going on and ask for your answers in writing! This helps with relay of information back at home and gives you something to reference later on.
- Ask for handouts, brochures, or even reputable online sources of information about your pet’s condition. The more you understand your pet’s condition, the better we can work together to manage it.
- Follow your veterinarian’s recommendations. They’re given for one very important reason — to keep your pet healthy. Along these lines, if you feel that you’re not getting the desired or expected outcome with our recommendations, let us know! There are often many ways to address or treat a problem, and we can’t make timely changes to a treatment plan if we don’t know how it is working (good or bad). Your input and follow up is an integral part of a treatment plan!
We hope your next veterinary visit runs smoothly, is low-stress and ends with a clear treatment plan!
This past week saw 54 homes sold in Arlington. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $239,000 while the most expensive was…
An Arlington County Police Department report released today puts on paper what we reported in March: crime was generally up in Arlington last year. “The overall crime rate in Arlington…
Join DC Fray + National Landing on Mondays from 6-7 p.m. now through September 25 for free instructor-led classes that are sure to help you break a sweat. No experience required! Sign up here or drop-in at…
On March 11, 2020, Covid was declared a global pandemic. More than three years later, the knock-on effects of Covid are still being felt, including when it comes to television…
Camps are just the beginning of what’s in store at Art House 7 this summer. We’re thrilled to offer an array of exciting classes for both kids and adults!Rediscover your creativity with some of our AH7 favorites, such as drawing, hand-sewing, modern embroidery, and our popular 3-week Jump into Crochet classes. But that’s not all! We’ve added some fresh and exciting options to our summer class selection, guaranteed to spark your imagination.
To enhance your artistic journey, we have intensified some of our Ceramics: The Wheel classes to a full 3-hour duration. This extended time allows for more creativity and skill development in each class session. If you’re eager for a captivating twist, give Contemporary Still-Life Drawing & Painting a go. Or why not try an immersive outdoor painting adventure? We have a unique opportunity for you to bring your painting skills to life while learning and creating in the great outdoors with our Landscape Painting: Studio and Plein Air class!
We invite you to visit our website and explore our full Summer Session schedule, brimming with a diverse range of classes and camps. Classes and camps begin June 20th. Unleash your inner artist, broaden your horizons, and embark on a summer adventure like no other. Let’s make this a summer to remember at Art House 7!
🌿 𝐄𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐂𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐑𝐞𝐣𝐮𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥 🌿 Local business is the heart of a strong community, and at Emerald Massage Center, we’re proud to be a vital part of that heartbeat. Our passionate team of Licensed Massage Therapists is dedicated to providing you with a sanctuary of relaxation, rejuvenation, and renewal.
🌟 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐖𝐞 𝐎𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 🌟
Our wide range of massage services includes Swedish, deep tissue, prenatal, sports massage, hot stone, aromatherapy, and more — all tailored to your individual needs. Whether you’re seeking relief from stress, muscle tension, or chronic pain, our skilled therapists will help you achieve total wellness.
🏆 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 🏆
Nighthawk Brewery & Pizza to Host Brewers Got Your Back…
Nighthawk Brewery & Pizza at Westpost (formerly Pentagon Row) in Arlington, Va., will host Brewers Got Your Back on Saturday, June 17.
Brewers Got Your Back is an event in partnership with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to raise
Homebuying 101: Steps to Getting Pre-Approved
Are you ready to jump into homeownership or started considering it but don’t know where to start? Financial preparation is key when thinking about purchasing your first home and the first step to getting pre-approved.
Join ACFCU’s mortgage loan officers