(Updated at 1:55 p.m.) Thousands of spectators will line the streets of Arlington this weekend, as bicyclists roll through for The Air Force Cycling Classic.
This Saturday, June 9, the event kicks off with the Clarendon Cup, near the Clarendon Metro. There will be a number of races throughout the day for men and women of various abilities. There will also be a children’s event. On Sunday, June 10, the action moves to Crystal Drive in Crystal City.
Registration can be found online, and the schedule is as follows:
Saturday, June 9
- 8:00 a.m. — Men’s Masters Amateur Race
- 8:55 a.m. — Men’s Elite Amateur Race
- 9:55 a.m. — Women’s Elite Race:
- 11:35 a.m. — Kids’ Race
- 12:00 p.m. — Men’s Pro Race
Sunday, June 10
- 7:30 a.m. — Crystal Ride
- 11:15 a.m. — Kids’ Race
- 11:30 a.m. — Men’s Pro Race
- 1:25 p.m. — Women’s Elite Race
- 2:30 p.m. — Men’s Elite Amateur Race (Category 3 racing license)
- 3:25 p.m. — Men’s Elite Amateur Race (Category 4 racing license)
A number of roads will be closed for the races, and the Arlington County Police will be helping to direct traffic. Parking may be restricted in the affected areas, so residents should look for temporary “No Parking” signs. Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. The closures are below:
Saturday, June 9, from 4:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Wilson Blvd from N. Fillmore Street to Washington Blvd
- Clarendon Blvd from Washington Blvd to N. Fillmore Street
- Washington Blvd from Wilson Blvd to N. Highland Street
- Highland Street from Wilson Blvd to Washington Blvd
- Garfield Street and Fillmore Street from Wilson Blvd to Washington Blvd
- Joyce Street from Army Navy Drive to Columbia Pike
- Columbia Pike from Oak Street to Pentagon South Parking (access to Pentagon, Eads and Fern Street)
- South Gate Road, no access to Columbia Pike
- Eastbound Washington Blvd at I-395
- Westbound Washington Blvd from Memorial Bridge
- Boundary Channel Drive
- Crystal Drive from 23rd Street to Army Navy Drive- no vehicle traffic permitted northbound or southbound on Crystal Drive Access (will be granted to Clark Street from 12th Street)
- 15th Street and Jefferson Davis Highway – no traffic permitted east of Jefferson Davis Highway. All traffic that comes east of Eads Street must use Route 1.
- 18th and Clark Street – no vehicle traffic permitted eastbound towards Crystal Drive unless parking. All traffic will be detoured southbound on Bell Street.
- 20th and Jefferson Davis Highway – no traffic permitted from Jefferson Davis Highway to 20th Street or to the access road that parallels Jefferson Davis Highway to the east.
- 23rd and Jefferson Davis Highway – All traffic coming from or across Jefferson Davis Highway will be sent south on Clark Street. The normal lanes of traffic on 23rd Street coming from Crystal Drive will be used for the race route. Traffic coming from Crystal Drive on 23rd Street will be using the eastbound lanes.
- Southbound Route 110 ramp to northbound I-395 will be closed until noon.
- Southbound Route 110 from Rosslyn to S. 15th Street will be closed until noon.
Disclosure: Crystal City BID is an ARLnow.com advertiser
Did you know the Arlington Public Library lets you borrow free energy efficiency tools? The latest Rethink Energy shares the details.
President Joe Biden paid a visit to Arlington and the recently-renovated Lubber Run Park, in support of Democrat Terry McAuliffe’s Virginia gubernatorial bid.
With one month to go before school starts, parents are being urged to enroll their kids in some Arlington public schools amid a continued drop in enrollment. Screenshots and emails…
When Marjorie Tarantino was closing on the purchase of her townhouse this spring, she learned there were problems with the deck. Tarantino had bought a property in the Richard Bassett…