Peter’s Take is a weekly opinion column. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
In last week’s debate, Cuccinelli was reminded by moderator Judy Woodruff of his remarks several years ago that “same sex acts are against nature and are harmful to society.” Given the opportunity to say that he has since moderated his views, Cuccinelli instead doubled down, confirming that his views “about the personal challenge of homosexuality haven’t changed.”
It would be hard to imagine a more offensive set of values for a person who is asking Virginia voters to give him the opportunity to lead a state of 8.5 million people in the 21st century.
Just what are the views Cuccinelli hasn’t changed?
- Offered a bill that urged the U.S. Congress to propose a federal constitutional amendment to provide that (i) marriage shall consist only of the legal union between a man and a woman; and (ii) the uniting of persons of the same or opposite sex in a civil union, domestic partnership or other analogous relationship shall not be recognized in the United States.
- Opposed a bill that would offer health benefits to same-sex partners because of his “desire not to encourage this type of behavior into law.”
- Stated “when you look at the homosexual agenda, I cannot support something that I believe brings nothing but self-destruction, not only physically but of their soul.”
- Urged Virginia colleges and universities to revoke their policies banning discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- And as recently as February 15, 2013, reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage in Virginia.
In politics, as in baseball, three strikes and you’re out.
Peter Rousselot is a former member of the Central Committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia and former chair of the Arlington County Democratic Committee.
This week’s Arts Focus asks for your inspiration and input for a flexible outdoor arts and gathering space planned for 2700 South Nelson Street in Green Valley.
Expect extra police patrols around Arlington schools today in the wake of yesterday’s deadly elementary school shooting in Texas. “ACPD officers are conducting extra patrols near Arlington schools,” Arlington County…
Crystal City’s Amazon Fresh is looking at a summer opening, a company spokesperson confirms. Back in February, a mystery was solved when it was confirmed that an Amazon Fresh grocery…
The Memorial Day holiday weekend is almost here and with it comes the kickoff to the unofficial summer travel season. AAA expects 39.2 million people will travel 50 miles or…