Peter’s Take is a weekly opinion column. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
In last week’s debate, Cuccinelli was reminded by moderator Judy Woodruff of his remarks several years ago that “same sex acts are against nature and are harmful to society.” Given the opportunity to say that he has since moderated his views, Cuccinelli instead doubled down, confirming that his views “about the personal challenge of homosexuality haven’t changed.”
It would be hard to imagine a more offensive set of values for a person who is asking Virginia voters to give him the opportunity to lead a state of 8.5 million people in the 21st century.
Just what are the views Cuccinelli hasn’t changed?
- Offered a bill that urged the U.S. Congress to propose a federal constitutional amendment to provide that (i) marriage shall consist only of the legal union between a man and a woman; and (ii) the uniting of persons of the same or opposite sex in a civil union, domestic partnership or other analogous relationship shall not be recognized in the United States.
- Opposed a bill that would offer health benefits to same-sex partners because of his “desire not to encourage this type of behavior into law.”
- Stated “when you look at the homosexual agenda, I cannot support something that I believe brings nothing but self-destruction, not only physically but of their soul.”
- Urged Virginia colleges and universities to revoke their policies banning discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- And as recently as February 15, 2013, reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage in Virginia.
In politics, as in baseball, three strikes and you’re out.
Peter Rousselot is a former member of the Central Committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia and former chair of the Arlington County Democratic Committee.
A look at the most and least expensive townhouses sold in Arlington last month, August 2023.
High school-based behavioral health services could be in place by November or December of this year, according to the county. In the wake of a mini-rash of student deaths earlier this…
Get into the fall spirit at National Landing’s can’t-miss Oktoberfest event on Saturday, September 30! Featuring a traditional Bavarian Steinholding competition, best-dressed contest, lawn games, clove decor for kids, beer…
This weekend, the Arlington County Board is set to consider a proposal to funnel nearly $400,000 into the second phase of the Bluemont Junction Trail safety project. Phase 2 includes…
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
T. (202) 845-7899
District Cutlery is celebrating their 10th and 11th anniversaries this week (we forgot last year) and offering customers 25% off all sharpening services. Walk-in service at Union Market is welcome or you can make arrangements for mail-in service on their website. Typical turn-around is less than an hour (but sometimes the queue gets long).
DMV’s professional chefs and passionate home cooks have trusted the District Cutlery with their knives for over 10 years. You can see pictures of their work @districtcutlery Instagram. They also specialize in sharpening styling shears, scissors and smaller garden tools and axes.
Experience through film the beauty of our relationships to cats. This unique film is a compilation of shorts with a feline theme which premieres every year in New York City and then travels to venues across the United States. This