Tens of thousands of runners and spectators will descend on Arlington for the annual Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday.
The race, now in its 40th year, will have up to 30,000 participants running around Arlington and the District.
As a result of the race, Arlington County Police Department, Virginia State Police and the Pentagon Force Protection Agency will be closing down more than 20 roads for much of the day, including parts of Wilson Blvd, Washington Blvd and Lee Highway.
N. Kent Street in Rosslyn will be closed from Wilson Blvd to 19th Street N. from noon on Saturday, Oct. 24, until the end of the marathon on Sunday, for the marathon’s finish festival.
Route 110, between Washington Blvd and the Pentagon north parking lot, will be closed from 4 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The highway will also be closed between I-66 and Jefferson Davis Highway from 4 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., as will Marshall Drive from N. Meade Street to Route 110.
The following roads will be closed from 4 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- N. Meade Street from Marshall Drive to N. Lynn Street
- Wilson Blvd from N. Nash Street to Route 110
- N. Lynn Street from N. Meade Street to Lee Highway
- Fort Myer Drive from N. Meade Street to Lee Highway
- N. Moore Street from Wilson Blvd to Lee Highway
- 19th Street N. from N. Lynn Street to N. Nash Street
Eastbound Lee Highway from N. Lynn Street to N. Kirkwood, Spout Run Parkway from GW Memorial Parkway to Lee Highway and GW Memorial Parkway from Spout Run Parkway to Memorial Circle Drive will be closed from 7-10 a.m.
The Key Bridge will be closed from 7 a.m. to noon. HOV lanes on the 14th Street Bridge and I-395 near the Pentagon will be closed from 7:35 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A number of closures in Crystal City are planned to accommodate the tail end of the marathon course and the Crystal City MCM Family Festival.
The following roads will be closed starting at 7:30 a.m.
- S. Eads Street from S. Rotary Road to Army Navy Drive until 2 p.m.
- Army Navy Drive between S. Fern Street to 12th Street S. will reopen at 2:30 p.m.
- 15th Street S. from Crystal Drive to S. Eads Street will open at 10 a.m.
The following roads will be closed between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- 12th Street S. from Army Navy Drive to Crystal Drive
- Crystal Drive from 12th Street S. to 23rd Street S.
- Long Bridge Drive from 12th Street S. to I-395
- Boundary Channel Drive from I-395 to Pentagon north parking
- Washington Blvd from Columbia Pike to Memorial Circle with southbound lanes reopening around 9:30 a.m.
Street parking will also be limited in parts of the county near the marathon course during the race. Participants and spectators are advised to either Metro in or — in Crystal City — park in a parking garage at Crystal Drive and 23rd Street S. before the road closes.
A nice late summer weekend is on tap as we start to dry out tonight after a soggy couple of days. Autumn officially begins on Wednesday, and the forecast currently…
The past, present, and future of Columbia Pike is rather easy to see.
For those venturing back to the mall for the first time in awhile, the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City might look a little different than you remember, thanks to some recent…
A renovated 4 BD/4 BA North Arlington home with a flexible and open floor plan and a private backyard lands in this weekend’s Open Houses.