Shirlington’s Signature Theatre has unveiled the lineup for its 2016-2017 season.
Among the productions scheduled are the Tony Award-winning Titanic: The Musical, Freaky Friday based on the novel and Disney movies and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s classic Jesus Chris Superstar.
Here’s the full list:
- Jelly’s Last Jam (Aug. 2-Sept. 11) — A musical about “famed and notorious jazz entertainer Jelly Roll Morton,” featuring his music.
- The Gulf (Sept. 13-Nov. 6) — The world premiere of a “provocative new comedy” set in the Alabama Delta, written by D.C. playwright Audrey Cefaly.
- Freaky Friday (Oct. 4-Nov. 6) — The world premiere of the body-swapping musical comedy based on the Disney films.
- Silver Belles (Nov. 22-Dec. 24) — Another world premiere musical comedy that’s billed as “a raucous send up of small town Christmas pageantry.”
- Titanic: The Musical (Dec. 13-Jan. 29) — A new production of the 20-year-old musical, featuring “a cast, crew and orchestra of over 50 artists and an inventive new 360 degree staging.”
- Mrs. Miller Does Her Thing (Feb. 28-March 26) — A new comedy written and directed by Pulitzer Prize winner James Lapine and starring Emmy and Tony Award winner Debra Monk.
- Midwestern Gothic (March 14-April 30) — A new musical that “paints a vivid portrait of a young woman whose imagination runs wild in a desperate to escape her desolate surroundings.”
- Jesus Christ Superstar (May 9-July 2) — Signature’s season concludes with the classic Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice rock opera about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
Signature is also planning a cabaret series featuring “Woodstock,” with music from the music festival, in addition to its annual open house on Saturday, July 23.