The incident occurred in the basement of a barracks building on the 400 block of Sheridan Ave. sometime around 10:00 a.m. today.
Reports of a “a foul smell and complaints of eyes being irritated” led to the incident, according to a statement from the military base.
“The source of the odor has been determined to be a chemical reaction between various unknown supplies in a storage supply closet,” the statement continued. “All indications are that this is not terrorist or criminal related.”
Despite earlier reports of a “hydrogen cyanide leak,” the odor actually came from overheated radio batteries, according to the Arlington County Fire Department.
Update on hazmat: odor was from overheated radio batteries, units ventilated the building and will clear when cleaned up
— Arlington Fire (@ACFDPIO) September 30, 2016
The building was evacuated and crews evaluated at least seven people onsite. Nobody was taken to the hospital following the incident, however.