School chancellor under fire, teens stage die-in outside of the White House, grande dame of Washington arts and education scene dies, and other news of the day over in the District.
- Local teens lie on ground outside of White House to protest gun violence. [Post]
- Survivors of Florida school shooting announce march on Washington. [NBC]
- D.C. schools chancellor rejects calls for resignation after he sought special treatment for his daughter. [Post]
- Upcoming transit events. [GGW]
- One of D.C.’s oldest bars will soon shutter. [WTOP]
- Cherry Blossom pop-up bar is bigger and better this year. [WCP]
- Milk Bar is opening at The Wharf tomorrow. [Eater]
- D.C. leaders talk tech, diversity, and inclusion. [Post]
- 10 notable projects designed by black architects. [Curbed]
- A chat with the leader of American University’s new anti-racist research and policy center. [WCP]
- Homes once owned by presidents. [Curbed]
- People from across the country pay tribute to Frederick Douglass in Anacostia. [NBC]
- Peggy Cooper Cafritz, who co-founded the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, dies at 70. [Post]
- Back when U Street was known as the “Black Broadway.” [NBC]
- Pepperoni rolls come to Petworth. [Barred in DC]
- One of Metro’s top officials in the track department is leaving the agency. [GGW]
- As of November 2017, the federal government directly employed 364,000 people in the D.C. area. [WTOP]
- People keep parking in a NoMa bikeway, forcing cyclists into traffic. [GGW]
Arlington County police say the rideshare driver who crashed into Ireland’s Four Courts on Friday did not do so intentionally and was not drunk. Beyond that, not much is known…
A set of utility covers in the middle of Wilson Blvd that have bothered residents for nearly a decade may finally get a permanent fix. For Alex Korolkoff, the banging…
This week, Mike Mount is tackling the topic of recently-created neighborhood names. Mike’s new cartoon pokes fun at modern place name inventions, perhaps given recent media attention for National Landing…
The impact on the housing market slowdown in different regions is discussed in Ask Eli.
Do you struggle with anxiety, depression, stress, grief, trauma or anger? Are
you ready to make a change?
Lauren K. Nickum, LCSW, CSAC from Peaceful Mind Solutions is now taking new
clients for psychotherapy. Lauren has over 10 years of experience treating
mental health disorders and general life stress in adults and adolescents. For
more information visit
15 year old Australian Shepherd went missing from her yard in Waycroft-Woodlawn on the evening of August 8.
A pet tracker hasn’t been able to find her, and despite roaming in a busy area, there have been no reported sightings. She is microchipped, and her information is up to date. It’s most likely someone has picked her up. If found, or if there is any information, please contact the Animal Welfare League of Arlington or her owner at 571-510-0508 or [email protected]. If spotted, please don’t approach or call to her, but take a picture and call her owner.
Have you ever considered purchasing a rental property but weren’t sure where to start? This free webinar will go over the basics of how to invest in real estate, how to choose rental properties, and a market overview. Our Director