The annual Army Ten-Miler race returns this weekend for the 35th year in a row, prompting several road closures.
Runners will hit the pavement to compete in this 10-mile race on Sunday, October 13, following a route that starts and ends at the Pentagon and takes runners into D.C. via the Key Bridge, and back to Virginia via the 14th Street Bridge.
Participants will be released in waves, with athletes in the Wounded Warrior division kicking off the day at 7:50 a.m.
The Arlington County Police Department announced a long list of road closures in a press release earlier this week.
The department said it’s planning to coordinate closures the day of the race together with the Virginia State Police, U.S. Park Police, and the Pentagon Force Protection Agency.
The closures include:
- Route 110, between Rosslyn and Crystal City, will be closed in both directions from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 2:00 p.m. Motorists may use the George Washington Memorial Parkway as an alternative.
- There will be no access to southbound Route 110 from N. Marshall Drive
- The public may access Arlington National Cemetery from N. Marshall Drive
- I-66 westbound will be closed from Washington, D.C. to N. Scott Street from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m. Motorists may use the George Washington Memorial Parkway or Route 50 as an alternative route.
- To access I-66 westbound, enter from N. Scott Street in Rosslyn.
- I-66 eastbound, Exit 75 will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.
- North Lynn Street, from Gateway Park to the Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.
- The exit for Route 29 North/Key Bridge from the George Washington Memorial Parkway will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.
- The Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge will be closed in both directions, with no vehicular access from 4:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.
- I-395 HOV northbound from Crystal City to the 14th Street Bridge will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to approximately 12:30 p.m.
- Eads Street from Army Navy Drive into the Pentagon/ northbound I-395 HOV lanes will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 12:30 p.m.
- I-395 southbound HOV exit to S. Eads Street / Pentagon South Parking lot will be closed from 5:00 a.m. to approximately 12:30 p.m.
- Route 27 in both directions from George Washington Memorial Parkway to I-395 will be closed from 7:00 a.m. to approximately 10:00 a.m.
- Army Navy Drive from S. Eads Street to 12th Street S. from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- 12th Street S. from S. Eads Street to Long Bridge Drive from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 12:00 p.m.
- Long Bridge Drive will be closed from 12th Street S. to Boundary Channel Drive from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 12:00 p.m.
- Boundary Channel Drive will be closed from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 12:00 p.m.
Race attendees are encouraged to use Metro to get to the race via the Pentagon or Pentagon City Metro stations.
Those traveling by ride hailing services like Lyft, Uber, or Via are asked to use the drop-off point for runners at Army Navy Drive and S. Hayes Street.
Photo via Flickr Pool/Rob Cannon
Join Poppyseed Rye for weekend breakfast starting May 21 with an expanded menu including quiche, breakfast paninis and more.
A 4 BD/3.5 BA renovated home with double ovens, gas fireplace and stone patio is included in Open Houses.
It’s going to be a scorcher this weekend, but that’s not likely to stop a series of outdoor events planned in Arlington. Four events in particular will prompt road closures,…
The third annual Ballston Quarterfest Crawl is back this weekend with a full line-up of music, art, entertainment, and drinks. The free event is set to happen this Saturday (May…