(Updated on 1/13/22) A number of events around Arlington this weekend will honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy.
The county will hold its annual tribute virtually this year, and Volunteer Arlington organized a video challenge and volunteer opportunities on Monday, the federal holiday recognizing King’s birthday.
The county’s annual tribute to King will be livestreamed on Sunday at 5 p.m., featuring music, dance and spoken word.
Kimberly Gordon will sing three songs, including “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Spoken word artist Kim B. Miller will share her work. Dancer Kamali Hill will perform to “Freedom” and Mahalia Jackson’s version of “Down by the River Side.” Malachi Alexander will dance to “It Ain’t Over” by Maurette Brown Clark.
The Volunteer Arlington’s MLK Day of Service will begin with a virtual ceremony Monday at 9 a.m. followed by a number of opportunities to be civically engaged both virtually and in person.
At the opening ceremony, the winner of the organization’s “Arlington Cares Challenge” will be announced and a $200 donation made toward the local nonprofit they featured in a 1-minute video posted on social media.
The #ArlingtonCares Video Challenge deadline has been extended to Wednesday, January 12 at 5:00 p.m. ET! There is still time to make a quick 1-minute video for a chance to help a local nonprofit earn a $200 donation. https://t.co/h3QZqkQdao
— Volunteer Arlington (@volarlington) January 10, 2022
Below is a listing of Volunteer Arlington Day of Service opportunities that you can still register for.
- AHC, Inc., APAH, and AHS Listen & Learn – Current Issues in Affordable Housing in Arlington
- Arlington County Department of Human Services and AFAC Listen & Learn on hunger and DIY Winter Care Kits
- Arlington Neighborhood Village Virtual Listen & Learn – Help Strengthen the Safety Net for Seniors in Arlington
- Arlington Rotary Club Virtual and DIY Blanket Making for Children in Affordable Housing
- Aspire! Virtual and DIY Teacher Supply Drive
- CRi DIY “I Spy Bags”
- Culpepper Garden DIY Cheer Bundles
- New Hope Housing Virtual and DIY Making Hygiene Kits
- VICAP Listen & Learn on the Virginia Insurance Counseling & Assistance Program
The Arlington Regional Master Naturalists have also compiled a list of local environmental service opportunities this weekend.
Learn how to maximize the home buying search from the Keri Shull Team’s seminar on January 24 at 6 p.m.
Attorney General Jason Miyares won’t be axing a state investigation into potential housing discrimination against residents of the Serrano Apartments launched under his predecessor. Early last week, the civil rights…
Covid-related staffing shortages are forcing Arlington libraries to shutter some services, including shutting down two branches this week. Cherrydale and Glencarlyn libraries will both be closed through Sunday (Jan. 23),…
The Ballston Business Improvement District is hosting a series of Washington Capitals watch parties as the local hockey team closes in on another playoff spot. Beginning this Thursday (Jan. 20),…