Official rules for contests and giveaways
FOR LOCAL NEWS NOW CONTESTS AND GIVEAWAYS
The following are the official rules of Local News Now, LLC (“LNN”) for the Reader Giveaway or Contest (“Contest”) being conducted by LNN on behalf of its advertising sponsor (the “Sponsor”). By participating, each participant agrees as follows:
1. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY. Void where prohibited by law. All federal, state, and local regulations apply.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Unless otherwise specified, the Contest is open only to legal U.S. residents age eighteen (18) years or older at the time of entry. Individuals age 13 to 17 may be eligible to participate in Contest with the approval of a parent or legal guardian, provided that the parent or legal guardian is a legal U.S. resident at least 18 years of age at the time of entry, but LNN reserves the right to refuse to award certain prizes to or on behalf of any minor. Unless otherwise specified, officers, directors, managers, employees, agents and representatives of LNN and its affiliates, the Sponsor, prize providers, advertising agencies, partner websites, website providers, and media organizations doing business with LNN, and their immediate family members and household members, are not eligible to participate. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, parents and step-parents, siblings and step-siblings, and children and stepchildren. The term “household members” refers to people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year. An individual may win a Contest only once per six (6) month period unless otherwise specifically stated. Entrants may not use an assumed name or alias (other than a screen name where a contest involves use of a social media site). Contests are subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and LNN’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. CONTEST PERIOD. The Contest will begin and end on the dates specified in the Contest announcement post available through LNN’s website (the “Contest Announcement”). LNN’s office computer is the official time keeping device for the Contest.
4. HOW TO ENTER. Entry forms for the Contest will be submitted using on-line and/or by mobile phone text communications as further described in the Contest Announcement. If an entrant makes multiple submissions from the same source, or uses other irregular submissions, including submissions generated by a computer program, script, macro, auto-dialing or other automated means, LNN reserves the right to disqualify the entrant, in its sole discretion. LNN shall not be responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, inappropriate or misdirected entries, all of which will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to any entry, the authorized account holder of the email address or telephone number used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned the telephone number by the wireless carrier or an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. A potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of LNN and will not be returned. LNN reserves the right to contact entrants and all other individuals whose email address or telephone number is submitted as part of a Contest.
5. ELECTRONIC DELIVERY DISCLAIMER. LNN disclaims all liability for any delays, mis-delivery, loss, or failure in the delivery of any item sent by electronic transmission or any other delivery method. LNN is not responsible for mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or failures of any kind, including: failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed transmission of online entries, traffic congestion on telephone lines, the Internet or at any website or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit an online entrant’s ability to participate in the contest, and any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in or downloading any information necessary to participate in this contest.
6. WINNER SELECTION AND ODDS OF WINNING. Winners of the Contest will be selected as described in the Contest Announcement. Odds of winning a Contest prize depend on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, the number of eligible entries received by LNN during the Contest Period. The winning entrant will be contacted using the email address and/or telephone number provided with the entry and will be awarded the prize subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with the terms of these rules or the specific Contest rules. Failure to respond to the initial verification contact within three (3) days of notification may result in disqualification. LNN’s decisions as to the administration and operation of the Contest and the selection of potential winners are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Any protest in the conducting of the Contest, the selection of the winners, or the awarding of prizes must be made within three (3) days of the conclusion of the contest; the resolution of any protest shall be in the sole discretion of LNN, whose decision shall be considered final.
7. NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION OF POTENTIAL WINNER. POTENTIAL CONTEST WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY LNN WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. The potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of the Official Rules and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. The potential winner will be notified by email and/or telephone call, after the date the Contest concludes. The potential winner may be required to come in person to LNN’s office during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, to provide proof of identity, execute an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release (except where prohibited), and a W-9 IRS Form, in order to claim his/her prize. A winner who executes these documents within the required time period will be deemed to have accepted the prize and thereafter will not be permitted to rescind their acceptance of the prize and/or return the prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to provide the affidavit of eligibility and/or the liability/publicity release within the required time period, or if the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits the prize. In the event that the potential winner of a Contest prize is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries, or other means chosen by the LNN and indicated in the particular contest rules.
8. PRIZES. Winner is responsible for all taxes associated with prize receipt and/or use. LNN or the Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any listed prize for one of equal or greater value for any reason. For prizes that involve travel, winner agrees to accept all blackout dates, space availability limitations, etc. established by LNN’s and the Sponsor’s prize provider(s), such as hotels, airlines, railroads and ships. In taking any trip as a prize from LNN or the Sponsor, winner does so entirely on their own initiative, risk and responsibility. If the trip requires traveling outside of the U.S., the winner must have a valid U.S. passport, and if winner does not have a passport, the trip prize may be forfeited. Winner and any guest must travel on the same itinerary. Trips are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided at LNN’s, the Sponsor’s or the prize provider’s sole discretion. If concerts or other ticketed events have been awarded as a prize and the concert or event is postponed, rained out, cancelled or does not occur for other reasons beyond LNN’s or the Sponsor’s control, neither LNN nor the Sponsor will be responsible for replacing the prize. If winner requests that a prize be mailed to him/her, and LNN or the Sponsor agrees to do so, winner agrees that LNN or the Sponsor will send the prize by U.S. Postal Service, and that neither LNN nor the Sponsor is responsible for lost, stolen, or misdirected mail, and that the prize will not be replaced if it is not received by winner.
9. ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE. By entering a Contest, each participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by these Official Rules, and the decisions of LNN, which are binding and final in all matters relating to any Contest; (b) release and hold harmless LNN and its affiliates, the Sponsor, prize providers, advertising agencies, partner websites, and any other organizations responsible for fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and each of their respective past and present officers, directors, managers, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in a Contest, acceptance or use or misuse of prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s acceptance, use, non-use or misuse of the prize.
10. PUBLICITY. Except where prohibited, participation in a Contest constitutes winner’s consent to LNN’s, the Sponsor’s and their agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, statements, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, unless otherwise prohibited by law. Winners may be required to sign a separate publicity waiver and/or release upon collecting a prize.
11. USER-GENERATED CONTENT. If the entry for the Contest includes any creative material from the participant, including but not limited to, user-generated content, by submitting your entry: (1) you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction and will not place LNN or the Sponsor under any fiduciary or other obligation, that LNN and the Sponsor are free to disclose the ideas on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you; (2) you acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, LNN and the Sponsor do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to LNN or the Sponsor, or developed by their employees, or obtained from sources other than you; (3) you are verifying that you are the owner and producer of the submitted material and that no third party ownership rights exist to any material submitted, or, to the extent that any third party ownership rights exist, you have obtained all necessary licenses and/or clearances to use such third party content, and (4) you are hereby granting each of LNN and the Sponsor a perpetual, worldwide, nonexclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable (through multiple tiers) right and license to use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, distribute, have distributed and promote such content in any form, in all media now known or hereinafter created, anywhere in the world, for any purpose.
12. TAXES. All state, local, federal and or other taxes, duties, tariffs, title fees, licensing fees, or other fees for prizes awarded in any Contest become the sole responsibility of the winner. Winners may be required to fill out and return an IRS W-9 tax form before receiving their prize. Valuation of prizes may be based on information given to LNN or the Sponsor by the provider of the prize. All those who win a prize or prizes over a certain threshold value in any given year may be issued an IRS Form 1099 to report their winnings.
13. GENERAL CONDITIONS. LNN may cancel Contest or any part of a Contest, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond LNN’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by LNN in its sole discretion. LNN reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or to be acting in violation of any federal, state or local law. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, LNN reserves the right to seek legal remedies including damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. LNN may, in its sole discretion, waive or change any of these Official Rules in a particular case, but will advise the public of such waiver or changes as practicable as possible after they are made.
14. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use, non-use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance or completion of the Contest, or any part of it, for any reason, LNN, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, programming or any other reason causes more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available or claimed, LNN reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, unawarded, eligible prize claims.
15. DISPUTES. Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Contest or the determination of the winner, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with a Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the appropriate United States District Court or state court located in the Commonwealth of Virginia; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering a Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant, LNN and the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the state in which the entrant resides or any other jurisdiction).
17. CONSTRUCTION. The invalidity or enforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision were not contained therein.
18. LIST OF WINNERS/COPY OF RULES. A copy of the Official Rules of the Contest, or list of the winners of a Contest, may be obtained by sending a written request to the address identified below. A list of winners may be not available less than 30 days after the conclusion of the Contest.
Contact address: [email protected]