Motorists should expect significant lane closures on the general purpose lanes along I-395 North this weekend, August 9 – 11, from Duke Street (Exit 3) to past Pentagon City/Crystal City (Exit 8C) for bridge rehabilitation work along the I-395 corridor. Starting at 11 p.m. Friday night, Aug. 9, the HOV lanes will be closed for the weekend. Multiple closures on the northbound I-395 general purpose lanes will occur during nighttime hours on Saturday beginning at 10 p.m. with all general purpose lanes opening by 9 a.m. on Sunday.
Drivers traveling to D.C. are urged to use alternative routes. Local traffic may still use the general purpose lanes, but should expect closures. All drivers should expect delays and plan extra travel time.
The 95 Express Lanes from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford will operate on a standard schedule.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Access to the HOV lanes will be closed beginning at 11 p.m. on Friday and reopening in the northbound direction on Monday at 4:30 a.m.
- A single general purpose lane on I-395 North will close Saturday night at 10 p.m.
- A second general purpose lane on I-395 North will close Saturday night from 11 p.m. with all general purpose lanes open by 9 a.m. Sunday morning.
- Thru-traffic (northbound to DC) is encouraged to use alternative routes, while local traffic may still use the open general purpose lanes but should expect delays.
- Weekly updates with specific closure information will be available at:ExpressLanes.com and VDOT’s 395 Express Lanes Web Page.
- Current plans call for the reversible 95 Express Lanes, from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford, to operate according to their normal schedule.
The 395 Express Lanes, an eight-mile extension of the 95 Express Lanes to the Washington D.C. line, are scheduled to open this fall. Learn how Express Lanes work and how to get an E-ZPass at www.ExpressLanes.com.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter:@vadotnova.