Cinco de Mayo celebrates an 1862 battle in which Mexican troops beat back French forces who invaded to force the country to repay a debt.
In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is primarily a regional holiday with “limited significance nationwide.” Across the United States, however, the fifth of May is recognized as a time to celebrate Mexican heritage by some, and as a good excuse to drink lots of Coronas and margaritas by others.
Here are a few of the planned events and specials happening around Arlington on Wednesday. Let us know if we forgot anything.
Mexicali Blues (2933 Wilson Boulevard)
- Cinco de Mayo party featuring free trinkets and t-shirts
- $3.50 24-oz. Modela Especial cans
- $3 16-oz. Tecate and Miller Lite cans
- $3 Corona and Pacifico bottles
- $6 margaritas
Cantina Mexicana (515 23rd Street South)
- All day specials
- Sangrias: $3 small, $8 large
- All imported beer $2.50
- $5 “super nachos”
Guapo’s Shirlington (4036 Campbell Avenue)
- Mariachi bands from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- All Mexican beers at an unannounced “special price”
Chevy’s Fresh Mex (1201 South Hayes Street and 4238 Wilson Boulevard)
- “Party all day and all night.”
- Mariachi band, time TBA
- $5 margaritas
Uncle Julio’s Rio Grande Cafe (4301 Fairfax Drive)
- “A big party” featuring outdoor beer and margarita stands, people selling shots, buckets of Corona
- Regular happy hour in effect from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Guajillo (1727 Wilson Boulevard)
- Appearance by the Jose Cuervo girls
- Giveaways including t-shirts, hats, shot glasses
- Occasional free shots, including body shots for the ladies
Taqueria Poblano (2503A N. Harrison St.)
- Food and pina colada specials
California Tortilla (2057 Wilson Boulevard)
- Coupon for free nachos when you buy something and say the secret password, “nachos.”
Ragtime (1345 North Courthouse Road)
- Happy hour from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. featuring $3 Dos Equis, $3.50 Tecate, $6 Coors Light buckets (4 bottles), $2.50 Miller Lites, $3 rail liquors
- Mexican food specials
- Markus Mann performs (rock and covers)
Mister Days (3100 Clarendon Blvd)
- $2 Negra Modelo
- $3 Corona