Lessons we learned while gathering information about local bars and their World Cup specials:
- Irish pubs cannot stand France.
- Irish pubs cannot stand England.
- Irish pubs are likely to ask “Wait, why do you need an excuse like the World Cup to drink?” when asked about their World Cup drink specials.
- Even British pubs are hesitant to say that they’re supporting England in Saturday’s match against the U.S.
- There are too many ridiculous eating and drinking opportunities to avoid soccer for the next month.
Soccer is a game meant to be watched with a large group of loud and inebriated fans, so go ahead, summon your old middle school soccer ambitions and yell out those rare soccer-related phrases you remember from the matches (“CORNER KICK!” and “STRIKER!”).
ARLnow’s list of places to watch the World Cup in Arlington is after the jump. The tournament, by the way, kicks off (get it?) at 10:00 a.m. Friday with host country South Africa versus Mexico.
Photo via Facebook: Piola Restaurant all decked out for the World Cup.
Note that several bars are extending their hours to serve the morning crowds.
Ri Ra Irish Pub (2915 North Wilson Boulevard)
- Budweiser $2, Carlsberg $3 during World Cup matches
- Boycotting France (no French games being broadcast in the bar)
The Liberty Tavern (3195 Wilson Boulevard)
- Extending happy hour during any of the World Cup games within normal operating hours (no morning games)
- Most beers on tap $3, 19 wines at half price, rotating specialty cocktail for $5
Bailey’s Pub & Grille (4238 Wilson Boulevard and 2010 Crystal Drive)
- Opening early for breakfast on morning game days
- Miller Light Draft $3, Samuel Adams “biggies” (large size) $4
Union Jack’s British Pub of Ballston (671 North Glebe Road)
- Offering breakfast specials for 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. games
- Stella Artois pints $3, 22 oz Bud Light $5
- Auctioning a World Cup soccer jersey during the England/USA game on Saturday
- Food specials during World Cup matches ($10 food/drink combinations)
Ireland’s Four Courts (2051 North Wilson Boulevard)
- Breakfast specials starting at 6 a.m. for early games ($6.95)
- Getting extra 40-42″ screen TVs to broadcast all games
- Miller Light $3 from 4 p.m.-8 p.m. during World Cup days
- Replays nightly at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Bracket predictor challenge with ESPN (submit predictions before Friday, June 11th)
McGinty’s Public House (3650 S Glebe Rd)
- Miller Light $3, Killian’s $3
Mister Days (3100 North Clarendon Boulevard)
- Benefit for United for D.C.: a $10 donation to the charitable arm for D.C. United will give bar-goers even lower prices on World Cup drink specials and a free raffle ticket. (details to come)
Crystal City Sports Pub (529 23rd St S)
- Breakfast buffet extended to Monday-Saturday ($7.99)
- June 11 – June 21, buffet is from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- June 22 – July 11, buffet is from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Drink specials on Budweiser, Bud Light, and Miller Light
- Introducing Peroni beer during World Cup
Ragtime Restaurant (1345 North Courthouse Road)
- Opening at 9 a.m. for 10 a.m. games
- Drink specials for competing countries’ matches (during Spanish match, sangria is discounted; during Australia match, Fosters is discounted, etc.)
- Extending weekend brunches to include Friday mornings during World Cup tournament.
Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery (4238 Wilson Boulevard)
- Opening at 10 a.m. for morning games
- Extending happy hour specials to all game nights
Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse (2903 Columbia Pike)
- Free, live broadcasts of U.S. World Cup matches on the big screen:
- USA vs England: June 12, 2010 @ 2:30 p.m.
- USA vs Slovenia:, June 18, 2010 @ 10:00 a.m.
- USA vs Algeria: June 23, 2010 @ 10:00 a.m.
Summer’s Restaurant (1520 North Courthouse Road)
- Peroni $3.50
- Internationally-inspired breakfasts every morning
- Cover for U.S./England match Saturday $5, $10 minimum per person
Piola Restaurant (1550 Wilson Boulevard)
- The place to be to root on Italy
- Showing numerous games
P. Brennans (2900 Columbia Pike)
- Open early at 10:00 a.m. all month
- Will show specific 7:30 p.m. games by request
- $4 Peroni
Did we forget anything? List other specials in the comments section.
Arlington Public Schools has a new internal social media platform for families but its anonymous commenting policy prompted a tense discussion among some School Board members. This year, the school…
An Arlington-based company that helps startup founders turn their ideas into viable ventures has a new permanent home in Rosslyn.
Through Christmas, ART bus trips in peak directions along the I-66 corridor, during rush hour, will be free.
Do you remember your first museum visit? Or a time you felt inspired walking around a museum? What if you had the chance to help give someone else their best…
Explore your creative side this fall at Art House 7 with our Fall 2 Session of art classes beginning October 30th. Whether you’re a budding artist or looking to unleash your artistic potential with something new, there’s a class for everyone!
Short and Drop-In Classes:
Dive into creativity with our short-term offerings, including a 3-week still-life painting course, a 3-week knitting class, a 5-week Painting the Portrait and Figure workshop led by acclaimed local artist Danni Dawson, and a mesmerizing 4-week exploration of Japanese Suminagashi and modern paper marbling. Plus, we have a drop-in class specially designed for parents and toddlers (2-4 years old) to introduce them to the world of art.
Classes for Young Kids:
At Generation Hope, we’re dedicated to supporting teen parents in college as they work toward earning their degrees. We are in need of caring child care volunteers for upcoming events on Saturday, October 21st (in Washington, DC), and Saturday, November 4th (in Arlington, VA). Join our growing volunteer community and support us at an event this fall!
At all of our events, we provide free onsite child care for the children of the teen parents we serve, creating a nurturing environment for the kiddos while their parents learn valuable life skills and build community.
If you enjoy working with children and are looking to make an immediate impact in your community, please visit https://www.generationhope.org/volunteer to learn more.
🌟 Calling all adventurous hearts! 🌟
💑 Get ready for an evening of excitement and connection as we present Speed Dating Night at The Renegade in Arlington, VA! 🌆
📅 Mark your calendars for Oct 20th, from 6-9 pm, because