Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.

🕗 News recap

The following articles were published earlier today — May 17, 2024.

Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.

  1. DEVELOPING: Bear spotted in North Arlington neighborhoods (118012 views)
  2. Local road named ‘most coveted address’ in Virginia (106880 views)
  3. ACPD: Cyclist struck by suspects who robbed man of jewelry in N. Arlington neighborhood (10822 views)
  4. Washington Post highlights Arlington eatery on Best New Restaurants list (9124 views)
  5. ‘The Wendy’ apartment building expected to open this fall on former Wendy’s restaurant site (8355 views)
  6. Mister Days set to open in Clarendon next month after five-year hiatus (6829 views)
  7. Temporary pickleball courts proposed as Crystal City development project faces delays (5392 views)
  8. Columbia Pike development plans fall through at beleaguered Fillmore Gardens Shopping Center (4674 views)
  9. New bakery and confectionary shop coming to Clarendon (4580 views)
  10. NEW: Democratic endorsees for Arlington School Board announced (4294 views)
  11. Arlington high schooler earns prestigious Princeton prize for DEI work at Arlington Tech (4014 views)
  12. Affordable housing proposal in Aurora Highlands nears milestone, despite objections (3948 views)
  13. Most and least expensive townhouses sold in Arlington (April 2024) (3471 views)

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.

Here are the events planned for Sunday:

🌦️ Saturday’s forecast

Showers on Saturday. High near 62. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. Saturday Night, a chance of showers, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 57. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. See more from Weather.gov.

💡 Quote of the Day

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”
– Aesop

🌅 Tonight’s sunset

The MonumentCam screenshot above is used with permission of the Trust for the National Mall and courtesy of EarthCam.

We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋


Popeyes is making its triumphant return and a regional dumpling eatery is expanding with another Arlington outpost.

Those are the latest additions to the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. The mall just announced that both Popeyes and Dumpling District will be opening in the food court “early this summer.”


Good Thursday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.

🕗 News recap

The following articles were published earlier today — May 16, 2024.

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on Friday in Arlington, from our event calendar.

🌦️ Friday’s forecast

There is a 20% chance of showers starting after 2pm, with partly sunny skies and a high temperature near 75°F. Expect a gentle northeast breeze of 3-7 mph. On Friday night, showers are more likely, mainly after 2am, with an 80% chance of precipitation. The temperature will drop to around 59°F, accompanied by a southeast wind of 5-7 mph. New rainfall amounts could range from a tenth to a quarter of an inch. See more from Weather.gov.

💡 Quote of the Day

“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.”
– Albert Einstein

🌅 Tonight’s sunset

The MonumentCam screenshot above is used with permission of the Trust for the National Mall and courtesy of EarthCam.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to discuss the day’s happenings in the comments.


The new version of ARLnow’s Afternoon Update newsletter

ARLnow’s email newsletter has barely changed since President Obama’s first term. But a refresh is in the works.

The Afternoon Update newsletter reliably sends out the past 24 hour of local news headlines from ARLnow at 4 p.m., six to seven days per week. It currently has more than 17,500 subscribers.

The newsletter has been going out since 2010, the year of ARLnow’s founding. The current Afternoon Update uses the same RSS-to-email functionality as that original 2010 version, just with some aesthetic changes.

An ARLnow Afternoon Update email from 2010

That’s about to change. We’re currently testing a new version that will look similar but the way it’s generated under the hood is completely updated — much like the new version of our website.

The new version is currently expected to roll out at some point next week. In the meantime, if you’d like to subscribe and get all of the local news headlines, unfiltered by any social media algorithm, click the button below.


Free dog washes are coming to the grand opening of a new pet supply store and “grooming salon” in North Arlington.

Wag N’ Wash, now open at the former site of Loyal Companion pet store at 2501 N. Harrison Street, in the Lee-Harrison Shopping Center, offers dog owners a chance to pamper their pups with self-service dog wash stations, professional grooming services and an array of pet products.


Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.

🕗 News recap

The following articles were published earlier today — May 15, 2024.

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on Thursday in Arlington, from our event calendar.

🌧️ Thursday’s forecast

Expect isolated showers after 2pm, with mostly cloudy skies and a high around 76. The north wind will blow at 10-14 mph, gusting up to 21 mph, and a 20% chance of precipitation. For Thursday night, it will remain mostly cloudy and cool down to around 58, with a gentle northeast breeze at 6-8 mph. See more from Weather.gov.

💡 Quote of the Day

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt

🌅 Tonight’s sunset

The MonumentCam screenshot above is used with permission of the Trust for the National Mall and courtesy of EarthCam.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to discuss the day’s happenings in the comments.


Lao and Thai restaurant Padaek, which opened last October in the Arlington Ridge Shopping Center, won some acclaim from the Washington Post today.

The Post included the eatery at 2931 S. Glebe Road on a list of the best new restaurants in the region.


An office building right across from the Clarendon Metro station is finally filling some vacant retail bays.

The owner of the office tower at 3101 Wilson Blvd just announced three new retail tenants on the ground floor: bakery and cafe chain Paris  Baguette, nostalgic confectionary chain Kilwins, and wellness clinic chain Relive Health.


Good Tuesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.

🕗 News recap

The following articles were published earlier today — May 14, 2024.

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on Wednesday in Arlington, from our event calendar.

⛈️ Wednesday’s forecast

Expect showers and possible thunderstorms after 2pm, alongside patchy fog from 7am to 2pm, with a high near 65, and a northeast wind of 8-10 mph. Precipitation is 80%, and new rainfall may reach up to three quarters of an inch. Wednesday night, there’s a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms, a low around 59, and a north wind at 8 mph. See more from Weather.gov.

💡 Quote of the Day

“Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.”
– Yehuda Bauer

🌅 Tonight’s sunset

The MonumentCam screenshot above is used with permission of the Trust for the National Mall and courtesy of EarthCam.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to discuss the day’s happenings in the comments.


ARLnow is establishing its first news beat with the addition of two new editorial staffers.

ARLnow and its sister sites, ALXnow and FFXnow, will all be served by the new breaking news, public safety and local business beat. The beat will allow our newsroom to build more subject matter expertise while better serving readers and making our editorial operation more resilient.


Good Monday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.

🕗 News recap

The following articles were published earlier today — May 13, 2024.

📅 Upcoming events

Here is what’s going on Tuesday in Arlington, from our event calendar.

⛈️ Tuesday’s forecast

Expect showers and potential thunderstorms after 5pm, accompanied by cloudy skies and a high of 72°F. South winds will range from 8-11 mph, gusting up to 18 mph, with a 70% chance of precipitation and rainfall of a tenth to a quarter inch. Tuesday night brings more showers, possibly a thunderstorm, with a low of 62°F, south winds of 6-10 mph, a 90% chance of precipitation, and additional rainfall amounts between a quarter and half inch. See more from Weather.gov.

💡 Quote of the Day

“The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.”
– Emily Dickinson

🌅 Tonight’s sunset

The MonumentCam screenshot above is used with permission of the Trust for the National Mall and courtesy of EarthCam.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to discuss the day’s happenings in the comments.


View More Stories