WMATA says a switch problem was discovered outside of the Foggy Bottom Metro station this morning. Metro employees were unable to fix the problem before the start of the evening rush hour.
“The affected track was taken out of service, and trains have been single tracking during the midday hours,” the agency said. “Unfortunately, permanent repairs will not be completed in time for the evening commute. Metro personnel will make a temporary repair that will allow trains to operate on both tracks, at a significantly reduced speed, during the PM rush hour.”
Metro says Blue Line riders should consider taking the Yellow Line instead. The agency issued the following information for riders.
What should I expect?
- Shortly after 3 p.m., single tracking will end, and Blue/Orange trains will use both tracks during the PM rush. Single tracking will resume after 7 p.m. so that permanent repairs can be made overnight.
- Expect delays. Trains traveling from Foggy Bottom to Farragut West will move through the area at an extremely slow speed for safety reasons. This will cause congestion in the Rosslyn-Foggy Bottom area as trains have to wait their turn.
- Trains will operate less frequently than normal. During the PM rush, trains will depart end-of-line stations every 10 minutes. At stations in Downtown DC, trains will arrive about every 5 minutes, alternating Blue and Orange destinations.
- Trains will be more crowded. Metro will operate more 8-car trains during this evening’s commute to provide additional room, but with fewer trains operating, things will seem crowded. Please take note of the train length and make use of the full platform if an 8-car train is arriving. Often the last two cars of an 8-car train are the least crowded.
What are some alternate travel options?
- If traveling between DC and Blue Line stations in Virginia from Pentagon to Franconia-Springfield: Use the Yellow Line instead. The Yellow Line is not affected by this problem and trains will operate more frequently than the Blue Line. Connect to Yellow Line service at L’Enfant Plaza or Gallery Place.
- Metrobus may be an option. For example, Metrobus 38B runs between Farragut Square and Ballston, with stops at Rosslyn, Court House, Clarendon and Virginia Square. View the 38B timetable here. To check the best Metrobus alternatives for you, use Trip Planner and select the “bus only” option.
When will repairs be completed?
Due to the complexity of the repair work, it is expected that repairs will be completed during the overnight hours. Normal service is expected for Tuesday morning.
File photo by @soxinly