The Washington Area Bicyclist Association says there are 79 pit stops for cyclists around the region, including six in Arlington. Arlington’s pit stops will be, rain or shine, at:
- Crystal City: Crystal City Water Park, 1750 Crystal Drive, 7:00-9:00 a.m.
- Shirlington: Village at Shirlington, 4200 Campbell Ave., 6:30-9:00 a.m.
- Columbia Pike: Penrose Square, 2503 Columbia Pike, 6:30-9:00 a.m.
- East Falls Church: East Falls Church Metro, 2001 N. Sycamore Street, 6:30-9:30 a.m.
- Ballston: FreshBikes, 3924 Wilson Blvd, 6:30-9:00 a.m.
- Rosslyn: Rosslyn Gateway Park, Lee Highway and N. Lynn Street, 6:30-9:00 a.m.
At each pit stop, there will be free food, beverages and giveaways. Those who want to be entered in raffles for a free bicycle — or be one of 14,000 people to receive a T-shirt — can do so at the official event website. If you’re one of the first 14,000 people registered, your T-shirt will be waiting at the pit stop you choose.
At the Ballston and Rosslyn locations, bike specialists will be on hand to give tuneups. Those who haven’t biked to work before are encouraged to check out BikeArlington’s route map and practice the route before the trails are mobbed with event participants. Arlington’s Car-Free Diet organization put together an intro video to commemorate the day.