Arlington County Police Department officers will join the community tonight for ice cream socials and neighborhood gatherings as part of the 32nd annual National Night Out.
“It’s a good opportunity to interact with citizens outside of an emergency incident,” ACPD spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said.
National Night Out, an event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, helps unite community members and police officers in order to prevent crime.
Each district ACPD team will be participating in the event, which “raises safety and crime awareness,” though police say it’s only one part of the department’s overall community outreach efforts.
“Our district teams are regularly interacting with their neighborhoods in the county,” Sternbeck said.
There will be be events throughout the county tonight and residents are encouraged to come out and talk with police officers and their neighbors.
The events include:
- Arlington Forest Ice Cream Social (at the corner of of N. Galveston Street and 2nd Street N.) at 7:30 p.m.
- Park Glen Ice Cream Social (between 812 and 816 S. Arlington Mill Drive) from 7-8 p.m.
- Williamsburg neighborhood (6207 31st Street N.) at 7 p.m.
- Barcroft School and Civic League (800 S. Buchanan Street) from 6-7:30 p.m.
- Nauck Town Square (24th Road S. between S. Shirlington Road and S. Kenmore Street) from 5:30-8 p.m.
- Fairlington Pool 2 (3025 S. Buchanan Street) from 5-7 p.m.
- Fairlington Pool 4 (2848-B S. Buchanan Street) from 5-7 p.m.
Photo courtesy of National Association of Town Watch