You want to live a healthier lifestyle, but where do you find the time? Scheduling health improvement activities into an already overbooked day a challenge many people face. But what if your workplace was also your healthy place?
Want some simple strategies to get your office moving toward better health? Cathy Turner, Virginia Hospital Center’s Director of Health Promotion & Senior Health, offers the following tips:
- At least once an hour, get up from your desk for a few minutes to stretch and step in place
- Go for a short walk
- Opt for a bathroom or water cooler on the other side of the building
- Walk to a colleague’s office instead of calling or emailing
- Have a walking meeting
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Pay attention to your meals and snacking and include proteins to fuel your energy needs
Virginia Hospital Center’s innovative HealthWorks program brings the healthy to your office.
HealthWorks collaborates with Fairfax County’s LiveWell program to provide screenings and workshops at multiple locations and events throughout the county. LiveWell Coordinator Amanda Cohill, BS, ACSM EP-C, says her program’s goal is to improve the health and well-being of Fairfax County employees and retirees. “We give them information and tools to make informed decisions about their health. In addition, we offer a variety of programs, events and screenings throughout the year to keep them engaged. Our employees have enjoyed outstanding results thanks to Virginia Hospital Center’s HealthWorks program.”
HealthWorks gives you the tools to feel better, live better and work better, including:
- On-site health screenings and assessments for blood pressure, body fat, cholesterol, bone density and more, as well as reliable guidance to improve your numbers.
- Lectures and workshops for stress management, diet and exercise, and women’s and men’s health, tailored to meet the specific needs of you and your coworkers.
- Multi-session seminars for smoking cessation, weight loss, cholesterol reduction and other chronic medical conditions. Learn practical guidelines to address these conditions before they escalate.
- Clinically proven information and advice from registered nurses, registered dietitians, fitness professionals and certified health coaches.
Employers! Call 703-558-6740 or email Cathy Turner to learn more about HealthWorks and develop the best program for your organization. “HealthWorks is a great way to enable employers to make a difference in their employees’ lives by creating a corporate culture that promotes healthy living.” Fees are structured for companies large and small, so you can customize how you spend your wellness dollars.
The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
Introducing your new Neighborhood Spotlight. Follow McEnearney Associates Realtors as they feature neighborhoods in Arlington.
It’s a Friday afternoon and the start of what promises to be a gorgeous, basically perfect early fall weekend.
A recall effort targeting Arlington’s top prosecutor is reportedly gaining some traction. In August, a political group named Virginians for Safe Communities (VSC) launched a recall effort against Parisa Dehghani-Tafti,…
This week Your Beermonger explains the differences between an Oktoberfest, Marzen and a Festbier.