Thirty-one performances ranging from family-friendly magicians to rock to old time country to Ethiopian jazz are planned at the Lubber Run Amphitheater this summer.
The performances start on June 17 with a cabaret from Shirlington’s Signature Theatre and wrap up on Sept. 18 with a magician Captain All-Star.
The eclectic lineup includes a focus on African and Caribbean music.
The performances are being organized by Arlington’s Cultural Affairs division, with the cooperation of the Lubber Run Amphitheater Foundation, which funded the four family-friendly shows at the end of the season.
Nestled in the woods and enjoyed by locals for decades, the amphitheater is located near the intersection of N. Columbus Street and 2nd Street N., a long walk from Ballston. It almost was closed five years ago but the foundation worked with the county to find a way to keep it open through some cost-effective renovations.
The full performance schedule is below.
- Friday, June 17 — Signature Theatre Cabaret
- Saturday, June 18 — ELIKEH (Afro-Pop)
- Sunday, June 19 — Nicole Saphos (Jazz)
- Friday, June 24 — Bowen MacCauley Dance
- Saturday, June 25 — Feedel Band (Ethiopian Jazz)
- Sunday, June 26 — Arlington Philharmonic (Classical)
- Friday, July 1 — By & By Bluegrass
- Saturday, July 2 — Mary Ann Redmond (Roots Rock)
- Sunday, July 3 — The Sweater Set (Folk Duo)
- Friday, July 8 — The Harry Bells (Island Brass Band)
- Saturday, July 9 — Cissa Paz (Brazilian Jazz & Pop)
- Sunday, July 10 — Los Carribeat (Caribbean)
- Friday, July 15 — National Chamber Enesmble (Classical)
- Saturday, July 16 — Cheick Hamala Diabate (Malian Griot)
- Sunday, July 17 — Hollertown (Old Time Country)
- Friday, July 22 — Telecaster Masters! Featuring Anthony Pirog and Dave Chappell (Guitar Virtuosos)
- Saturday, July 23 — Orlando Julius (Nigerian Afro-Pop icon)
- Sunday, July 24 — Levine School Interactive Family Concert (Family Fun)
- Friday, July 29 — DC Highlife Stars (African Highlife)
- Saturday, July 30 — CAZ (Rock, Soul & Reggae)
- Sunday, July 31 — The Grandsons (Roots Rock)
- Friday, August 5 — Amadou Kouyate (Malian Kora Master)
- Saturday, August 6 — Army Blues (Jazz)
- Sunday, August 7 — Margot MacDonald (Singer Songwriter)
- Friday, August 12 — Mary Alouette (Gypsy Jazz)
- Saturday, August 13 — Mbongwana Star (Congolese Fusion)
- Sunday, August 14 — Rico Amero (Blues)
- Saturday, August 27 — The Great Zucchini (Magician)
- Sunday, September 11 — Rocknocerous (Family Music)
- Saturday, September 17 — Mr. KnickKnack (Family Music)
- Sunday, September 18 — Captain All-Star (Magician)
Flickr pool photo by John Sonderman
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 4 BD/4 BA home with an open kitchen and wood burning fireplace.