This biweekly sponsored column is written by the experts at Gordon James Realty, a local property management firm that specializes in residential real estate, commercial real estate and homeowner associations. Please submit any questions in the comments section or via email.
When planning a move or considering a new place to live, there are a lot of factors that can go into the decision. After all, it’s a big one!
When looking for new apartments and/or homes, you must take into consideration the inspection list of the property, the location, the price, the value, the school districts, the nearby job opportunities, and so much more. What else is important in a home? Amenities! Are you an avid cook who needs to have an updated, state-of-the-art kitchen? Are you a clothes horse who can’t live without walk-in closets? There are a lot of amenities to take into consideration and it’s up to you to decide what you can and can’t live without.
See below for the top-searched amenities in Washington, D.C. and Arlington in 2016.
- Washer/Dryer In Unit: 19.3 percent
- Utilities Included: 11.4 percent
- Air Conditioning: 10.4 percent
- Patio or Balcony: 6.3 percent
- Dishwasher: 5.0 percent
- Fitness Center : 4.2 percent
- Cable or Satellite: 3.5 percent
- Garages: 3.5 percent
- Walk-In Closets: 3.4 percent
- Short-Term Lease: 3.0 percent
- Microwave: 3.0 percent
- Public Transportation: 2.6 percent
- Pool: 2.5 percent
- Furnished Available: 2.4 percent
- Wireless Internet Access: 2.2 percent
- Utilities Included: 20.4 percent
- Washer/Dryer: 17.2 percent
- Air Conditioning: 9.4 percent
- Patio or Balcony: 5.5 percent
- Dishwasher: 4.8 percent
- Walk-in Closets: 3.7 percent
- Cable or Satellite: 3.1 percent
- Fitness Center : 2.8 percent
- Microwave: 2.4 percent
- Wireless Internet Access: 2.3 percent
- Washer/Dryer Hookup: 2.3 percent
- Pool: 2.1 percent
- Public Transportation : 2.0 percent
- Laundry Facility: 1.9 percent
- Garages: 1.9 percent
Let’s delve into these coveted amenities a bit, shall we? At first glance, there’s very little difference between what people in D.C. want from their amenities and what people in Arlington want from their amenities. They want utilities included, a washer and dryer, air conditioning (hey, it’s hot there in the summer!), a patio and/or balcony and a dishwasher. All are in the top five, but not necessarily in the exact same order. In fact, the only areas where they differ a bit are:
- Washer/Dryer Hookup – D.C. inhabitants place this at No. 10 in level of importance (while Arlington did not even put it in their top 12). Makes sense! If you can’t have a washer/dryer in your space, you might as well have the ability to buy your own and hook them up.
- Laundry Facility – Again with the importance of clean clothes in Washington, D.C! There, it is ranked No. 14 while, in Arlington, it failed to make the list.
- Short-Term Lease – People in Arlington seem to be more interested in short-term leases as they ranked this amenity as No. 10. Hmm – perhaps people in D.C. are more likely to stay put in one place longer? What do you think?
- Furnished Available – This ties in closely to short-term leases. Since people are coming and going from the area a lot (think politics, new terms, new parties, etc.), perhaps Arlington is where they live. It’s cheaper and they can sign short-term leases in already furnished apartments to make their moves easier!
Now that you know which amenities are of the utmost importance in D.C. and Arlington, what amenities are most important to you? If you’re looking for more info on what renters want in the area, contact us here.
Good Thursday evening, Arlington. Today we published 6 articles that were read a total of 7916 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today…
Plans to redevelop a local YMCA may have too many apartment units and not enough community benefits, county planners say. The YMCA is proposing to tear down its existing facility…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA condo that sold for $2,374,500 and a 1 BD/1 BA condo that sold for $145,000 are included in Most and Least Expensive.
A woman was groped, followed and pulled to the ground by an unknown suspect in the Lyon Park area, police say. The incident happened last night (Wednesday) around 5:30 p.m….
With holiday season around the corner, it is easy to put your health on the back burner. If you are looking to get back on track during the holiday season, we are here to keep you accountable. At Aspire Higher Training, we offer 1-1 Personal Training for ALL fitness levels, Semi-Private Group Training, Sport Specific Training and Injury Prevention/Post Physical Therapy Training. Monica and her team of trainers are available across Arlington, Va.
If you don’t have access to a gym, no problem, we are located in South Arlington, but if you want to workout from your home/apartment gym, we also offer that flexibility. We make it as convenient as possible. Before getting started, we offer a free 15-30 minute consultation call to see how we can best help you towards your health and fitness goals. Let’s gets started on your health and fitness goals today by setting up a call at your earliest convenience: https://www.aspirehigherfitness.com/contact
Hello Everyone — You are invited to the final meeting of NAACP Arlington Branch NAACP for 2022
When: Dec 12, 2022, 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: 2022 General Membership Meeting — NAACP Arlington Branch
Register in advance for this webinar
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
7:00 pm Meeting Opens.
7:30 pm Installation
8:00 pm Presentation/Q&A; by Dave Schutz on Ranked Choice Voting
8:30 pm Final Remarks and Comments by Newly Elected Members
9:00 pm Meeting Adjourns
Installation Official Robert N. Barnette, Jr. President, Virginia State Conference NAACP The President of the Virginia State Conference NAACP will serve as the Installation Official and provide remarks for our newly elected officers at the general membership.
Join us as we celebrate the holiday of Chanukah! Enjoy delicious Latkes, hot cocoa, donuts and more!
Clarendon Menorah Lighting and Community Celebration
Experience the festival of lights!!
*Lighting of a giant 9 foot Menorah