While regular batteries made of zinc carbon and alkaline can be thrown away, rechargeable batteries must be recycled, otherwise they might burn in the trash or cause ecological issues.
To prevent a possible a fire at home, rechargeable batteries along with lithium, silver oxide and mercury batteries can be dropped off at the following locations in Arlington:
- Best Buy (Pentagon City) – 1201 S. Hayes St., Suite B
- Fire Station 1 (Glebe Road) – 500 S. Glebe Road
- Fire Station 2 (Ballston) – 4805 Wilson Blvd.
- Fire Station 4 (Clarendon) – 3121 10th St. N.
- Fire Station 5 (Jefferson District/Aurora Highlands) – 1750 S. Hayes St.
- Fire Station 7 (Fairlington) – 3116 S. Abingdon St.
- Fire Station 8 (Lee Highway) – 4845 Lee Highway
- Fire Station 9 (Walter Reed) – 1900 S. Walter Reed Drive
- Fire Station 10 (Rosslyn) – 1559 Wilson Blvd.
- Households Hazardous Material Facility – 530 31st St. S.
At the fire station, residents can just hand over their batteries to fire personnel at the building’s entrance or, where available, place the batteries in an orange collection bin outside the station.
In order to drop off the batteries at the Household Hazardous Material Facility, an appointment must be scheduled between Monday and Friday, according to the county website. Residents can drop off materials without an appointment on Saturday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Other nearby battery recycling locations, according to Call2Recycle, include Home Depot and Lowe’s stores, along with Falls Church city government headquarters at 300 Park Avenue.
Explore the tight-knit community and cyclist friendly neighborhood of Waycroft and Woodlawn in Neighborhood Spotlight.
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 4 BD/3.5 BA home with oak hardwood floors, finished basement and deck.
It’s been a busy week. A new music venue and watering hole opened, students rallied around abortion rights, and the police responded to a couple of bank robberies. We hope…
A 53-year-old Florida man is behind bars after being found with a gun, ammunition and drugs on the grounds of Washington-Liberty High School, police say. Officers were dispatched to a…