Three shrubs caught on fire beside George Mason University’s Bill of Rights Eagle in Virginia Square.
The fire broke out on this afternoon (Friday) just before 1 p.m., engulfing the shrubbery and a patch of mulch. The flames were quickly extinguished by responding firefighters, and a college employee said that it wasn’t a major incident. Classes were in session at the time but there was not report of any evacuation.
A facilities worker told ARLnow.com that the flames were three feet high, and that a glass office window adjacent to the fire was cracked as a result.
Another facilities worker, who said that he had worked for the college for the past 20 years, said that the college’s shrubbery had never caught on fire before.
He added that his colleagues had not seen anything odd in the area prior to the fire, but that several people tripped and fell while running away.
Unveiled last May with much fanfare, the GMU Antonin Scalia Law School’s “Bill of Rights Eagle” did not appear to suffer any damage from the fire.
Warm weather has helped spark a number of small mulch and grass fires around Arlington over the past day or so.
Join the Keri Shull Team May 24 to learn about creating a custom-built home while avoiding costly mistakes.
Update at 4:15 p.m. — A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has now been issued for most of Arlington. BULLETIN – IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED Severe Thunderstorm Warning National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington…
Arlington County Board member Libby Garvey is quarantining in Germany after testing positive for COVID-19 while on a trip. Garvey told ARLnow she’s doing relatively well, and feels mostly like…
A woman was seriously injured over the weekend after police say she was apparently pushed out of a moving vehicle. It happened early Sunday morning along Wilson Blvd at the…