News

Virginia Supreme Court agrees to take up Missing Middle lawsuit

The Virginia Supreme Court has agreed to review the lawsuit over Arlington’s Missing Middle zoning change, moving one step closer to resolving the complicated but consequential case.

Following oral arguments last month, the court announced today (Tuesday) that it will review a Virginia Court of Appeals ruling that would create big obstacles for plaintiffs, if upheld.

It’s unclear when exactly the court will hear arguments. Jay Hamilton, a spokesperson for the anti-Missing Middle group Neighbors for Neighborhoods — which is funding the litigation — told ARLnow that he expects the case will likely go to trial within the next three to six months.

It’s also unclear how much clarity will come from this latest step in the lawsuit, since the Court of Appeals decision — which effectively put the zoning change back on the books — only related to a procedural issue. It didn’t involve the legal merits of the Expanded Housing Option (EHO) itself, which allows for the construction of up to six-unit developments in neighborhoods that were previously zoned only for single-family homes.

So far, the merits of the ordinance have only been considered in a circuit court trial.

“The Virginia Supreme Court got it right,” Dan Creedon, a representative for the anti-Missing Middle group Neighbors for Neighborhoods, said in a press release. “It’s not easy going against the Arlington County Board, which has spent $1.5 million in taxpayer dollars [on] a private law firm to defend itself.”

Arlington County did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Missing Middle ordinance has taken a long and winding legal path. The County Board initially approved the change in March 2023, but a circuit court judge originally struck it down in September 2024, finding that the county failed to follow proper procedure and adequately consider localized impacts.

In June 2025, however, the Court of Appeals ruled that the circuit court’s decision was invalid. The appeals court found that developers who had previously received EHO permits are “indispensable parties” that need the opportunity to be included in court proceedings.

If upheld, this decision could require a redo of the original circuit court trial, only this time, far more defendants would potentially be able to file arguments.

In the meantime, as of last month, a total of 59 EHO projects were listed on the county’s permitting dashboard (although amid all the legal uncertainty, some of these have since pivoted to become single-family development projects).

Some of the multi-unit projects have already hit the market.

A five-bedroom, three-and-a-half bathroom duplex in North Highlands sold in March for $1,610,000, according to a Redfin posting. Its neighbor, a four-bedroom, three-and-a-half bathroom home, sold in December for $1,615,000.

About the Author

  • Dan Egitto is an editor and reporter at ARLnow. Originally from Central Florida, he graduated from Duke University and previously reported at the Palatka Daily News in Florida and the Vallejo Times-Herald in California. Dan joined ARLnow in January 2024.