The Arlington County Auxiliary Police Unit is looking for a few good men and women to join their ranks.
The unit was formed in 1942 to help keep Arlington safe while the full-time police force was reduced due to military service during World War II. It has been an active unit ever since.
Auxiliary officers volunteer at least 180 hours per year performing various law enforcement functions, including:
- Bike and foot patrols of county roads, parks, trails, and commercial areas
- Handling accidents and other traffic incidents
- Assisting at DUI checkpoints
- Conducting child safety-seat inspections and installations
- Providing security and crowd control at special events, such as the Marine Corps Marathon, July 4th celebration, Crystal City 5K Friday and other parades, festivals, and races
- Patrolling shopping malls during the holidays
Interested applicants should be “21 years of age, a resident of Northern Virginia, and a U.S. citizen with 60 college credit hours and a good driving record.” Find more information here or here, or call Heather Hurlock at 703-228-4057.