If there was ever a day to skip out of work after lunch, this is it. Between the nice weather, the start of the NCAA basketball tournament and — of course — the fact that it’s St. Patrick’s Day, this is not a day that should be spent cooped up in an office filing TPS reports.
Here are a few places you can go to wear the green, watch the game or otherwise have a good time.
- Arlington Cinema Drafthouse (2903 Columbia Pike) — Tonight at 7:15 p.m. everybody’s favorite gun-wielding, God-fearing Irish brothers will kick some Mafia butt as the Drafthouse holds a special screening of the movie Boondock Saints.
- Clarendon Grill (1101 N. Highland St.) — The Grill opened its doors at 11:00 a.m. for its St. Paddy’s Day celebration. Drink specials at the bar and March Madness on the TV. Energetic local band The Fuzz takes the stage at 9:00 p.m.
- Ireland’s Four Courts (2051 Wilson Blvd) — Doors opened at 10:00 this morning. The always-packed St. Paddy’s extravaganza at Four Courts includes Irish food specials, cash-only satellite bars, music on the main stage all day, and a heated tent behind the restaurant.
- Iota Club and Cafe (2832 Wilson Blvd) — Raucous Irish band O’Tasty performs, with warm-up act Hellfire and the Brimtones taking the stage at 8:30 p.m. Admission is $12.
- Kitty O’Shea’s (2403 Wilson Blvd) — No cover and March Madness on the TV. Open all day with an all-Irish food menu.
- O’Sullivan’s Irish Pub (3207 Washington Blvd) — Irish bands all day starting at noon. The Michael Patrick Band perfomrs from 4:45 to 8:45 p.m. and Willem Dickie performs from 9:30 p.m. to closing time.
- P. Brennan’s Irish Pub (2910 Columbia Pike) — This is the first St. Patrick’s Day celebration for the cavernous, 11-month-old Irish pub. P. Brennan’s opened at 11:00 a.m. for an all-day and all-night event featuring Irish music, Irish dancing, Irish food and anything else Irish-related. $5 cover after 6:00 p.m.
- Ragtime (1345 N. Courthouse Road) — Happy hour specials from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., green beer starting at 4:00 p.m., a traditional Irish menu and NCAA games on the TVs. Local funk/jam/rock band Aquatica becomes O’quatica for a performance from 9:00 p.m. to close.
- Rhodeside Grill (1836 Wilson Blvd) — Irish specials and NCAA basketball all day. Plus: green beer.
- RiRa Irish Pub (2915 Wilson Blvd) — Starting at noon, RiRa is holding a charity basketball shoot-out on the back patio. The hoops will benefit the charity PeacePlayers International, which helps to unite young people in divided areas of the world like Northern Ireland. Live music includes Kilmaine Saints starting at 3:00 p.m. and Dr. Fu at 9:00 p.m. Naturally, there will be a traditional Irish menu and NCAA games on the big screens.
- Samuel Beckett’s Irish Gastro Pub (2800 S. Randolph St.) — The newest Irish pub in town will host acoustic folk/pop/rock artist Taylor Carson at 7:00 p.m. There will also be authentic Irish food, plenty of Irish beer and whiskey and a special menu, all served by a straight-off-the-boat Irish staff.
- Sine Irish Pub (1301 S. Joyce St.) — Green beer, no cover and an Irish buffet starting at 3:00 p.m.
- Spider Kelly’s (3181 Wilson Blvd) — SK opened at 11:00 a.m. for St. Patrick’s Day and March Madness specials all day long. The popular nightspot also added Guinness to its taps for the occasion.
- Tortoise and Hare (567 S. 23rd St.) — Tortoise and Hare is offering “plenty” of food and drink specials. The all-day celebration features a full Irish menu, green beer, car bombs, Guinness and Smithwick’s, etc. etc. etc. Plus March Madness on TV and hip hop cover band Flow in the Dark taking the stage around 9:30 p.m.
- Whitlow’s on Wilson (2854 Wilson Blvd) — Irish menu until 11:00 p.m. Bagpipers providing music plus Celtic band Shannon Tide at 6:00 p.m. March Madness games and drink specials.
Arlington Public Schools is applying to the state for more than $15.6 million in federal funds to tackle pandemic-era learning loss. The school system says it would use the money…
I-CE-NY in Shirlington appears to have closed. The windows of the Thai rolled ice cream shop are blacked out, the awning has come down, no equipment appears to be inside,…
A miracle is shutting down a portion of 23rd Street S. near Crystal City tonight (Friday). The 58th edition of the holiday event “Miracle on 23rd Street” is taking place…
Is Amazon building a flagship grocery store near HQ2? Based on photos showing the inside of the under-construction store, it sure looks like it.