Earlier this week, we asked the three Democratic candidates for the 30th District state Senate seat to write a sub-750 word essay on why the district’s residents should vote for them on Tuesday, Aug. 23.
Here is the unedited response from Libby Garvey:
Why You Should Vote for Libby Garvey:
- Actions speak louder than words. All three of us candidates say pretty much the same things, but here’s the difference: while they’ve talked about getting things done, I’m the only one to have repeatedly turned those values into action. My entire life has been about public service, from serving in the Peace Corps in the early ‘70’s to my past 14 years on the Arlington County School Board. On the school board, I’ve helped make Arlington Public Schools one of the top-ranked school systems in the country. We’ve also closed the achievement gap significantly, will soon establish access to pre-school for all at-risk children, and rebuilt or renovated our schools on time and on budget. I’ve also served on the regional Council of Governments and played key roles on many statewide councils and group, two of which I was appointed to by Governors Warner and Kaine.
- Life experience. I have learned many hard lessons in my 60 years. But I’ve spent my life helping others, first as a waitress to help my family during lean times and later after college as a Peace Corps volunteer in Africa. Today, as a cancer survivor, grandmother, and widow, I’m more ready than ever to serve as state senator. There is a wisdom and understanding that can only be gained through time and experience. If all our legislators had such wisdom, we’d have a better government.
- An independent, true Progressive voice. I am truly independent and beholden to no one but my voters and continuing Senator Patsy Ticer’s legacy. While my campaign raised the most money in the last quarter, I have received no money from the lobbyists or corporations who normally fund campaigns in Virginia. That means we will owe this seat to no one but ourselves. Only then will we be able to have the true progressive voice we need in Richmond to fight back against the extreme right-wing priorities of Ken Cuccinelli and Wisconsin-style labor policies, uranium mining, car title lenders and other corporate interests that seek to undermine our community.
- Some endorsements really matter. I am honored to have many endorsements, but the support and endorsement of Senator Patsy Ticer and Supervisor Gerry Hyland mean the most to me. Senator Ticer and Supervisor Hyland know the 30th District better than just about anyone. They have cared for and well served the citizens of this district for decades. They know all the candidates well. They support me. I hope you will too.
- Finally, we need more women in Richmond. Gender shouldn’t be a deciding point, but everyone should be concerned about the lack of women at all levels of government. Women are over 50% of the population in Virginia, yet only about 17% of the delegates in Virginia’s House are women. With the retirement of Senator Ticer and Senator Whipple, we could be down to 7 or fewer women out of 40 senators depending on this election. While Republicans in Virginia are consistently waging their war on women’s rights, we need more women in Richmond to shape the debate and ensure that our rights are upheld. We need to worry less about scoring political points and focus on getting things done.
Your reason? If this doesn’t convince you to vote for me on the 23rd and you’d like to talk about my campaign or an issue that concerns you, please call my office at 571-312-7260 or send an email to [email protected] Talking with voters about issues is what I most enjoy and I look forward to doing just that for many years to come.
A video purporting to show two people attacking an employee inside the Bluemont McDonald’s has been obtained by ARLnow. The attack happened around 11 p.m. Monday, at the restaurant on…
(Updated at 11:20 a.m.) Arlington is under a Winter Weather Advisory ahead of the arrival of snow today. Forecasters say Arlington will get about 1-3 inches of accumulation, with snow…
Local Leaders Push for More Boosters — “A good number of Arlington residents seem to be turning a blind eye and/or deaf ear to governmental drumbeats for COVID booster shots….
Just Listed includes a 3 BD/3.5 BA brick townhome with wood floors, updated kitchen and a private roof top deck.