Update at 6:20 p.m. — The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for Arlington County. Heavy rains are causing ponding on roadways and producing the risk of dangerous flooding, especially in low-lying areas.
From Arlington County:
What to expect in Arlington from Irene: A Tropical Storm Warning and Flash Flood Watch is in effect for Arlington County.
- Rain bands from the hurricane will start hitting this area in the early to mid-afternoon.
- Heavy rain, winds will start at around 6 p.m.
- Heaviest rain and winds between 8 pm Sat. and 2 am Sun.
- During this period we will likely experience sustained winds of up to 40 MPH, gusts between 40 and 50 MPH.
- 2-4 inches of total rain expected, with higher amounts further east.
- Due to ground saturation and winds, we are likely to experience some downed trees.
The county has rolled out a live “Arlington Irene-cam” for residents to watch the effects of the storm outside the county office building at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard in Courthouse.