This regularly-scheduled sponsored Q&A column is written by Adam Gallegos of Arlington-based real estate firm Arbour Realty, voted one of Arlington Magazine’s Best Realtors of 2013. Please submit follow-up questions in the comments section or via email.
Question: I’ve been noticing “walk scores” listed in the description of homes for sale lately. Can you tell me what that is?
Walk Score assigns a numeric grade between 0 and 100 to measure how walkable a given location is. Points are awarded based on the proximity to amenities such as restaurants, coffee shops, bars, grocery stores, parks, schools, shopping and entertainment.
The scores earned are described as follows:
- 90-100 = Walkers Paradise (daily errands do not require a car)
- 70-89 = Very Walkable (most errands can be accomplished on foot)
- 50-69 = Somewhat Walkable (some errands can be accomplished on foot)
- 0-49 = Car Dependent (most errands require a car)
We can use the Arbour Realty office address in Ballston as an example (875 N. Randolph Street). It earns a Walk Score of 94. According to Walk Score, the nearest restaurant is .06 miles, the nearest grocery store is .03 miles, the nearest park is .2 miles, etc..
Home buyers are generally willing to pay more to live within a walkable community. That is one of the reasons why homes along the Orange Line in Arlington have a higher average cost per square foot than anywhere in Northern Virginia. If consumers are paying for the convenience of living in a walkable community, it makes sense to show off your Walk Score when it comes time to sell.
You can input your address here to find out what your Walk Score is: http://www.walkscore.com/
As a convenience to buyers, we include a home’s Walk Score in every MLS listing on our website: http://arbourrealty.com/northern-virginia-home-search/
According to Walk Score, Washington D.C. is the seventh most walkable city in the U.S. Arlington was not included in the rankings, but with its average Walk Score of 67 it would have made the top 10:
- New York – Walk Score: 87.6
- San Francisco – Walk Score: 83.9
- Boston – Walk Score: 79.5
- Philadelphia – Walk Score: 76.5
- Miami – Walk Score: 75.6
- Chicago – Walk Score: 74.8
- Washington DC – Walk Score: 74.1
- Seattle – Walk Score: 70.8
- Oakland – Walk Score: 66.2
- Baltimore – Walk Score: 66.2
The top 15 most walkable Arlington neighborhoods as listed on WalkScore.com are:
- Ballston – Walk Score: 93
- Rosslyn – Walk Score: 91
- Clarendon-Courthouse – Walk Score: 91
- Lyon Village – Walk Score: 89
- Colonial Village – Walk Score: 88
- Radnor / Ft. Myer Heights – Walk Score: 86
- Ashton Heights – Walk Score: 83
- Aurora Highlands – Walk Score: 81
- Buckingham – Walk Score: 78
- North Highlands – Walk Score: 75
- Buckingham – Walk Score: 74
- Lyon Park – Walk Score: 73
- Maywood – Walk Score: 73
- Penrose – Walk Score: 72
- Arlington Heights – Walk Score: 71
The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
Good Thursday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
A look at the most and least expensive townhouses sold in Arlington last month, August 2023.
High school-based behavioral health services could be in place by November or December of this year, according to the county. In the wake of a mini-rash of student deaths earlier this…
Get into the fall spirit at National Landing’s can’t-miss Oktoberfest event on Saturday, September 30! Featuring a traditional Bavarian Steinholding competition, best-dressed contest, lawn games, clove decor for kids, beer…
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
T. (202) 845-7899
Experience through film the beauty of our relationships to cats. This unique film is a compilation of shorts with a feline theme which premieres every year in New York City and then travels to venues across the United States. This