Last week, we asked the candidates for the Democratic nomination in the 8th District congressional race to write a sub-750 word essay describing why Arlington residents should vote for them in the June 10 primary.
Here is state Sen. Adam Ebbin’s unedited response:
“How do I choose between so many candidates? What makes you different from the rest of the candidates?” These are the most common questions I hear on the campaign trail. Frankly, they are the right questions to ask. In a race where our platforms are similar, how can you differentiate?
I am proud to have devoted the last 10+ years passing progressive legislation in Richmond and serving my constituents right here in Arlington as well as neighboring communities.
There are many things that set me apart from the field.
- the only candidate to have represented Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax for more than 10 years,
- the only candidate in this race to have expanded Medicaid to cover prenatal care for immigrant mothers,
- the only candidate to have increased insurance access for LGBT Virginians,
- the only candidate to expand access to solar energy, and
- the only candidate who wrote a bill to combat Ken Cuccinelli and his radical agenda,
- the only candidate to establish an Arlington/Falls Church Public Defender Office,
- the only candidate to secure major funding for the Doorways Shelter for women and children.
I am also the only candidate in this race who calls himself a LIBERAL without apology.
I am not the flashiest candidate in this race, nor am I the loudest. And throughout this campaign, I am certainly not the candidate that has made the loftiest promises. But my record speaks for itself — I know how to get things done. That is why I have been endorsed by more elected officials than any other candidate, by two major unions, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and Laborers International Union of North America (LiUNA), by the Gay Lesbian Victory Fund and Congressman Keith Ellison, the Co-Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
I have always stood up for Arlington’s needs and values in the General Assembly and will do so in the U.S. Congress. If you support me on June 10th, I will work for you in Congress and there is no telling what we can accomplish together.