The Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization (CPRO) is bringing back outdoor movies in Penrose Square every Saturday from this week (June 21) through August 30. This year, CPRO also will offer movies every other Thursday in the plaza of the new Arlington Mill Community Center, starting tonight and running through September 11.
CPRO is trying out something different at Arlington Mill by offering a couple of Spanish movies subtitled in English, and vice versa. The push for diversity in the movie selection isn’t just for Spanish-speaking cultures. CPRO Executive Director Takis Karantonis notes the movie “The Visitor” deals with issue of immigrating to the United States from Africa and the Middle East.
“We really are very interested in bringing movies from the many cultures we have along Columbia Pike,” said Karantonis. “We will test to see how it works. We realize not everybody is happy with subtitles all of the time, so we will collect feedback and adapt according. Our goal is to make the movies as linguistically accessible as possible.”
The Arlington Mill movie schedule follows:
- June 19 — La Misma Luna (Spanish subtitles)
- July 3 — Life of Pi
- July 17 — No se Aceptan Devoluciones (English subtitles)
- July 31 — The Visitor
- August 14 — Sofia y el Terco (Spanish subtitles)
- August 28 — El Estudiante (English subtitles)
- September 11 — Avatar
Below is the schedule for movies at Penrose Square:
- June 21 — Mama Mia!
- June 28 — The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- July 5 — Sideways
- July 12 — Inception
- July 19 — Notting Hill
- July 26 — Little Miss Sunshine
- August 2 — Slumdog Millionaire
- August 9 — Before Sunset
- August 23 — The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- August 30 — Gravity