(Updated at 10:45 a.m.) The snow has started falling and the schools are closed, which means it’s time for winter frolicking.
For some, that means staying in, drinking hot cocoa and catching up on Netflix. For others around Arlington, that means throwing on some snow pants and boots, grabbing a sled and taking to a nearby hill for sledding.
We compiled a list of favorite sledding destinations around Arlington, asking Twitter followers for recommendations and compiling some others from memory and from around the web.
Here is a list of spots around Arlington, both north and south, for everyone who loves sliding down hills on plastic projectiles.
- H-B Woodlawn — 4100 Vacation Lane, always a popular spot and lends itself to some hangtime in the air (pictured above)
- Reeves Farmhouse — 400 N. Manchester Street, the hill leading down to Bluemont Park has been popular for years
- RiverHouse Apartments — Corner of Army Navy Drive and S. Lynn Street, the hill leading down to the pool
- Jamestown Elementary — 3700 N. Delaware Street, “around back by the tennis courts of Jamestown ES, around front by the staff parking lot for younger ones” (@zippychance)
- Virginia Hospital Center Urgent Care — 601 S. Carlin Springs Road, in the back (@John_Wallll)
- Dept. of Human Services headquarters — 2100 Washington Blvd, near Route 50 (@ingrid28)
- Southgate Road — “By the Air Force Memorial” (@matthewhurtt)
- U.S. Marine Corps Memorial — Near Rosslyn (Reddit)
- Tuckahoe Elementary — 6550 26th Street N., the field next to the school (@dmgalvao)
- Columbia Commons — 5100 8th Road S., “in the back of building 5100” (Reddit)
- Lubber Run Community Center — 300 N. Park Drive, “the hill behind the playground … Very steep!” (Reddit)
- McKinley Elementary School — 1030 N. McKinley Road (@sophiepyle)
- Reed School — 1644 N. McKinley Road (All Around Arlington)
- S. Hayes Street — from Fort Scott Drive to 25th Street S., “if the snow was especially fast — all the way to 24th Street. An absolutely amazing hill without exaggeration.” (Reddit)
- Nottingham Elementary — 5900 Little Falls Road (Reddit)
- Ashlawn Elementary — 5980 8th Road N., the park behind the school (All Around Arlington)
Did your favorite spot get left off the list? Any recommendations on the best of the best? Tell us in the comments about your favorite sledding hills in the county.
Flickr pool photo by Brian Irwin
A particularly sharp bend in the GW Parkway near Key Bridge has claimed another vehicular victim An SUV overturned in the southbound lanes around 1:15 p.m., blocking all lanes and…
There has been a modest, but noticeable drop in the intensity of demand and buyer activity over the last 3-4 weeks.
Caffi Services provides plumbing, heating, and cooling services with environmentally friendly solutions.
After a two-and-a-half month, barely-interrupted march upward, Arlington’s average daily Covid case count has eased a bit over the past three days.