Your prana and your chakras may be OK, but that doesn’t mean you can’t profit from a little yoga in your life. Yoga is a great exercise that offers a host of health benefits. You can practice it year-round, rain or shine, with no more equipment necessary than a yoga mat.
Here are the top 10 ways yoga may help improve your health and fitness:
- Flexibility: Yoga poses stretch your muscles. You’ll move better, reduce stiffness and feel less tired.
- Strength: Poses such as downward dog and plank build upper-body strength, while standing poses strengthen your lower body, spine and abs.
- Posture: Yoga improves core strength, which helps perfect posture. You’ll sit and stand taller.
- Pain relief: Studies show yoga can ease back pain, as well as pain associated with arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and other chronic conditions.
- Joint health: Yoga is gentle on joints but still provides a great workout. It helps prevent degenerative arthritis by taking your joints through the full range of motion.
- Spine health: Yoga protects your spine and keeps spinal discs supple.
- Bone health: Weight-bearing poses strengthen bones and help ward off osteoporosis.
- Heart health: Yoga helps to regulate heart rhythm and lower cholesterol and blood sugar, promoting healthier cardiovascular function.
- Immunity: Yoga helps fight infection and boost immunity.
- Stress relief: Yoga lowers your resting heart rate, decreases blood pressure and increases blood flow to help you feel more relaxed.
Hatha Yoga rejuvenates your body and mind with strengthening postures, total body stretching, breathing exercises and deep relaxation. Gentle Yoga, a more accessible style of yoga, helps restore flexibility, regain strength and ease tension. Prenatal Yoga lets you practice yoga poses and focused breathing exercises to cultivate calm and confidence for labor and childbirth. You’ll need your doctor’s approval to attend.
The views and opinions expressed in the column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of ARLnow.com.
Looking for a furry best friend to follow you everywhere? Meet Finley, the newest Adoptable Pet of the Week.
Open Houses includes a 4 BD/2 BA brick home with two wood burning fireplaces and shaded patio.
Arlington is now under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, with a line of strong storms approaching from the west. That’s in addition to the earlier Tornado Watch and Flood Watch. From…
Arlington has hired its first Independent Policing Auditor, though it didn’t go the exact way the county was hoping for. The county announced today that Mummi Ibrahim, who “has a…