This regularly-scheduled sponsored Q&A column is written by Eli Tucker, Arlington-based Realtor and Rosslyn resident. Please submit your questions to him via email for response in future columns. Enjoy!
Question: At what point in the home buying process should I sign a Representation Agreement with my Realtor and what exactly does it mean?
What is a Buyer Representation Agreement?
Formally known in Northern Virginia as the Exclusive Right to Represent Purchaser Agreement; it’s a contract between a home buyer and an Agent and his/her Brokerage (firm) that establishes an exclusive relationship between both parties stating that the Buyer is not working with another Agent and the Agent holds a fiduciary responsibility to represent the interests of the Buyer, nobody else.
Why it’s Important for Buyers
- Fiduciary Responsibility: A Representation Agreement ensures your Agent is legally bound to represent your best interests at all times and is not in cooperation with the Seller/Seller Agent (legal without an Agreement). In the course of working with an Agent, you’ll divulge confidential information about your finances, what you’re willing to pay, and more. You want to make sure it’s contractually protected and only being used to promote your interests.
- Purpose: You can define the scope and purpose of the Agreement as narrowly (specific property address) or broadly (residential real estate in Virginia) as you’d like. For example, if you’re simultaneously searching for a condo in Rosslyn and a vacation house on Lake Anna, and using two different Realtors, you can/need to specify those parameters in each Agreement.
- Termination: The contract establishes the expiration date and terms for voluntary early termination.
- Transparency: Many agents/brokers charge a flat transaction fee and some require a minimum commission on each sale, which must be funded by the Buyer if the commission split with the Seller’s Agent does not. This information must be disclosed in the Representation Agreement.
Why it’s Important for Agents
- It ensures an exclusive client relationship during the term of the contract so that your Agent knows that while he/she is committing time and resources working for you, you’re committed to working exclusively with them.
When Should I Sign?
At the very latest, you need to have a signed Representation Agreement by the time you submit a bona fide offer, but it’s in the best interest of both parties to sign the Agreement once you’re each comfortable establishing a formal working relationship. For me, that’s usually once I’ve met face-to-face with a client and established a good working relationship. While you shouldn’t be expected to sign a Representation Agreement before you’re comfortable with them, you also shouldn’t expect an Agent to spend an entire weekend working for you without a signed contract.
Buyer Representation Agreements are an interesting part of this industry because there are so many different ways they’re actually used/not used in practice by agents. Too many times, both sides feel threatened or uncomfortable discussing the Agreement, yet it’s second nature in every other industry that when two parties decide they’d like to work together, they sign a contract laying out the terms of the relationship. Transparency and trust are always good for business and it’s no different with a Buyer Representation Agreement.
I’m sure there are a number of readers who have declined a request to sign a Representation Agreement and I’d be interested in hearing your reasoning or hesitation in the comments section.
Eli Tucker is a licensed Realtor in Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland with Real Living At Home, 2420 Wilson Blvd #101 Arlington, VA 22201, (202) 518-8781.
Arlington is now included in a Dense Fog Advisory that was earlier issued for other parts of Virginia and Maryland. The fog is expected to clear up overnight, but for…
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Today we published 5 articles that were read a total of 9367 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today…
In Green Valley, resident Portia Clark says she and her neighbors are bombarded with calls and letters from realtors and potential investors about buying their homes. “We were once a…
Don’t forget to sign up for the 2023 Winter Leagues with DC Fray that include soccer, cornhole and more.
With holiday season around the corner, it is easy to put your health on the back burner. If you are looking to get back on track during the holiday season, we are here to keep you accountable. At Aspire Higher Training, we offer 1-1 Personal Training for ALL fitness levels, Semi-Private Group Training, Sport Specific Training and Injury Prevention/Post Physical Therapy Training. Monica and her team of trainers are available across Arlington, Va.
If you don’t have access to a gym, no problem, we are located in South Arlington, but if you want to workout from your home/apartment gym, we also offer that flexibility. We make it as convenient as possible. Before getting started, we offer a free 15-30 minute consultation call to see how we can best help you towards your health and fitness goals. Let’s gets started on your health and fitness goals today by setting up a call at your earliest convenience: https://www.aspirehigherfitness.com/contact
Hello Everyone — You are invited to the final meeting of NAACP Arlington Branch NAACP for 2022
When: Dec 12, 2022, 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: 2022 General Membership Meeting — NAACP Arlington Branch
Register in advance for this webinar
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
7:00 pm Meeting Opens.
7:30 pm Installation
8:00 pm Presentation/Q&A; by Dave Schutz on Ranked Choice Voting
8:30 pm Final Remarks and Comments by Newly Elected Members
9:00 pm Meeting Adjourns
Installation Official Robert N. Barnette, Jr. President, Virginia State Conference NAACP The President of the Virginia State Conference NAACP will serve as the Installation Official and provide remarks for our newly elected officers at the general membership.
Join us as we celebrate the holiday of Chanukah! Enjoy delicious Latkes, hot cocoa, donuts and more!
Clarendon Menorah Lighting and Community Celebration
Experience the festival of lights!!
*Lighting of a giant 9 foot Menorah