Editor’s Note: This biweekly column is sponsored by Dominion Wine and Beer (107 Rowell Court, Falls Church). It is written by Arash Takafor.
Thanks to Reverie Distribution out of Richmond, Prairie Artisan Ales are now available in Virginia. Reverie, a small boutique distributor that also distributes popular Virginia breweries such as Veil, Ocelot (RVA only), and The Answer specializes in distributing fresh beer to high quality establishments.
Since most of the breweries Reverie distributes release such a limited quantity outside of their taproom, getting these brews are a privilege. Even though Prairie is distributed throughout the U.S, getting their brews has proven difficult for most avid craft beer drinkers, especially in Virginia.
Founded by brothers Chase and Colin Healy in Tulsa, Okla., Prairie set out to brew complex farmhouse and barrel aged beers. Believing that the craft beer industry was getting crowded with common types of brews, Chase worked on brewing expressive beers such as inventive sours, wild ales, and other funky barrel – aged projects. With his brother Colin in charge of label art and marketing, the Healy brothers have created a niche product for beer geeks.
Due to a large geographic footprint and a limited amount of barrels abled to be brewed, Prairie’s beers are in high demand and low supply. Being able to be one of the first in Virginia to be able to sell these brews to the public is extremely exciting. One of Prairie’s cult like following beers is called Bomb! A 14 percent stout aged with espresso beans, chocolate, vanilla beans and ancho chilies. Drinkers go nuts for it’s harmonious flavor.
Right now at Dominion Wine and Beer we have stocked from Prairie:
- BOMB! – Imperial Stout aged on espresso beans, chocolate, vanilla beans, and ancho chili peppers.
- Birthday BOMB! – Stout with a complex mix of hops and malt with a healthy dose of the signature coffee and spices.
- Paradise – Coconut vanilla stout
- MERICA – Single malt, single hop farmhouse ale
- Funky Gold Mosaic – Dry hopped sour ale with Mosaic hops.
- Funky Gold Citra – Dry hopped sour ale with Citra hops
- Prairie-Vous Francais – Refreshing Farmhouse ale with Brett. Slightly tart and a touch hoppy.
- 4th Anniversary – Sour beer aged on ginger.
- Phantasmagoria – Prairie’s version of a West Coast Style Double IPA. Low in Malt, high in hops.
A driver in an SUV struck a juvenile riding a bike along Langston Blvd this afternoon. The crash happened around 4:20 p.m., in or near the crosswalk at the intersection…
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 4 BD/4 BA home with an open kitchen and wood burning fireplace.
The weekend has arrived and, apparently, so have mid-summer temperatures. Perhaps a little too early. Forecasters warn residents not to let the heat take them by surprise as temperatures could reach…
The $15 million newly renovated Jennie Dean Park is reopening to the public this weekend, complete with a motorcycle parade, live music, and a celebration of local baseball history. The…