(Updated at 10 a.m.) The 44th Marine Corps Marathon returns to Arlington and D.C. this Sunday, October 27, bringing thousands of runners to the area along with lots of road closures.
Opening ceremonies for the races begin at 6 a.m. along Route 110 between the Pentagon and the Arlington National Cemetery. The 5oK race kicks off at 7:30 a.m., then the wheelchair/hand cycle race starts at 7:40 a.m., and finally the marathon and 10K begin at 7:55 a.m. Approximately 30,000 runners are participating in the race.
MCM events in Arlington include a finish festival in Rosslyn and opportunities to cheer the runners on along the streets of Crystal City.
Many of Sunday’s road closures begin in the early morning and last until later in the day.
Per a press release from the Arlington County Police Department, the following county roads will close on Sunday:
- 3:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Marshall Drive from North Meade Street to Route 110
- 3:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. North Meade Street from Marshall Drive to North Lynn Street
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Route 110 from I-66 to Richmond Highway
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Wilson Boulevard from North Nash Street to Route 110
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Lynn Street from North Meade Street to Lee Highway
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Fort Myer Drive from North Meade Street to Lee Highway
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. North Moore Street from Wilson Boulevard to Lee Highway
- 3:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. 19th Street North from North Lynn Street to North Nash Street
- 3:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Route 110 ramp from Washington Blvd. to Pentagon North parking
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Lee Highway (eastbound) from North Lynn Street to Kirkwood Road
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Spout Run Parkway from southbound George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) to Lee Highway
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. GWMP northbound from Spout Run to Memorial Circle Drive
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Francis Scott Key Bridge (all lanes)
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. I-66 Westbound ramp for Exit 75
- 6:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. I-66 Eastbound ramp for Exit 73
- 6:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. HOV lanes from 14th Street Southwest to HOV ramp at South Eads Street
- 5:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. South Eads Street from South Rotary Road to Army Navy Drive
- 5:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Army Navy Drive from South Fern Street to 12th Street South
- 6:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. 15th Street South from Crystal Drive to South Eads Street
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. 12th Street South from South Eads Street to Crystal Drive
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Crystal Drive from 12th Street South to 23rd Street South
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Long Bridge Drive from 12th Street South to I-395
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. 6th Street South from Long Bridge Drive to South Ball Street
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. 10th Street South from Long Bridge Drive to South Ball Street
- 6:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. South Ball Street from 6th Street South to 10th Street South
- 3:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Boundary Channel Drive from I-395 to Pentagon North Parking
- 3:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Washington Blvd. from Columbia Pike to Memorial Circle
In addition, per an agreement between marathon organizers and WMATA, Metro will be open two hours early on Sunday and provide extra service on the Blue and Yellow lines.
Additional travel tips from the press release, after the jump.
The Marine Corps Marathon recommends that runners arrive two (2) hours prior to start time, proceed through the security checkpoint, drop off bags, and line up in the appropriate corral.
Runners, spectators and volunteers are strongly encouraged to use ridesharing, public and multimodal transportation options. Runners arriving by vehicle are encouraged to make use of Shuttle Services offered by the Marine Corps Marathon or the Kiss and Run drop-off location at Army Navy Drive and South Fern Street. Additional information about getting to the race start and finish is available on the Marine Corps Marathon website.
Designated rideshare drop-off and pick-up zones has been established at the following locations:
Morning events in Crystal City – Army Navy Drive at S. Fern Street
Afternoon events in Crystal City – 2400 block of Crystal Drive
Finish Festival – 1900 block of Lee Highway
NOTE: E-Scooters and bicycles will not be allowed inside certain restricted areas of the event, riders may be directed by law enforcement to either turn around or park the equipment and walk to their destination.
The Metro will open at 6:00 a.m. on race day. The closest Metro access to the start is the Pentagon station on the Blue and Yellow lines. The Arlington Cemetery Station is the only station that will remain closed on Marathon morning until 8:30 a.m.
Motorists should expect significant delays in and around the race course. If you are travelling to the event or in the area, allow extra time, seek alternate routes, or utilize public or multimodal transportation options to reduce road congestion.
Photo via Marine Corps Marathon
Good Thursday evening, Arlington. Today we published 6 articles that were read a total of 7916 times… so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles for today…
Plans to redevelop a local YMCA may have too many apartment units and not enough community benefits, county planners say. The YMCA is proposing to tear down its existing facility…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA condo that sold for $2,374,500 and a 1 BD/1 BA condo that sold for $145,000 are included in Most and Least Expensive.
A woman was groped, followed and pulled to the ground by an unknown suspect in the Lyon Park area, police say. The incident happened last night (Wednesday) around 5:30 p.m….
With holiday season around the corner, it is easy to put your health on the back burner. If you are looking to get back on track during the holiday season, we are here to keep you accountable. At Aspire Higher Training, we offer 1-1 Personal Training for ALL fitness levels, Semi-Private Group Training, Sport Specific Training and Injury Prevention/Post Physical Therapy Training. Monica and her team of trainers are available across Arlington, Va.
If you don’t have access to a gym, no problem, we are located in South Arlington, but if you want to workout from your home/apartment gym, we also offer that flexibility. We make it as convenient as possible. Before getting started, we offer a free 15-30 minute consultation call to see how we can best help you towards your health and fitness goals. Let’s gets started on your health and fitness goals today by setting up a call at your earliest convenience: https://www.aspirehigherfitness.com/contact
Hello Everyone — You are invited to the final meeting of NAACP Arlington Branch NAACP for 2022
When: Dec 12, 2022, 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: 2022 General Membership Meeting — NAACP Arlington Branch
Register in advance for this webinar
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
7:00 pm Meeting Opens.
7:30 pm Installation
8:00 pm Presentation/Q&A; by Dave Schutz on Ranked Choice Voting
8:30 pm Final Remarks and Comments by Newly Elected Members
9:00 pm Meeting Adjourns
Installation Official Robert N. Barnette, Jr. President, Virginia State Conference NAACP The President of the Virginia State Conference NAACP will serve as the Installation Official and provide remarks for our newly elected officers at the general membership.
Join us as we celebrate the holiday of Chanukah! Enjoy delicious Latkes, hot cocoa, donuts and more!
Clarendon Menorah Lighting and Community Celebration
Experience the festival of lights!!
*Lighting of a giant 9 foot Menorah