As your community’s credit union, we encourage our members and community to protect themselves from scams, especially during difficult times when fraudsters try to take advantage of people.
Here are a few tips to consider:
- Be skeptical of links and attachments: Exercise caution in clicking links or attachments sent by text message, email, or social media, particularly from unknown senders. This is known as “phishing,” when a scammer tries to steal personal information disguised as a trusted communication.
- Don’t give personal information to someone who calls you: Trusted organizations will not call and ask for sensitive personal information like account numbers or Social Security Numbers. If you receive a call, hang up and call the organization back on their published phone number to verify.
- Monitor your statements: Watch for transactions that you did not initiate. Online banking is a tool to be able to see your transactions in live time. If you see a suspect transaction, notify your financial institution immediately. Consider setting fraud and transaction notifications for larger purchases or low balance notices in your account.
- Be careful at ATMs and gas station pumps: Watch for devices placed in the card reader that try to steal your card information. If you notice something on the card reader that’s loose or looks irregular, don’t use the machine and inform the owner.
- Hang up on automated robocalls: Scammers use illegal automated phone calls to pitch schemes. Don’t follow the direction to press numbers, including one that connects to an operator or “un-enrolls” you from calls.
- Research charities before giving: Scammers prey on people’s desire to help by setting up fake charities. Research the organization and never donate by gift card or wire transfer.
If you have questions about your ACFCU membership or need financial solutions in this uncertain time, call us at 703-526-0200.
We are here to serve you if you live, work, volunteer, do business, go to school, or worship in Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria, or Fairfax County. For more information, visit ArlingtonCU.org or email [email protected].
Membership eligibility requirements apply. Federally Insured by NCUA.