The design process for the revamped Metropolitan Park near Amazon’s future Pentagon City offices is nearing the finish line.
A final draft design for the park was presented last week, revealing a hybrid of the “Forest Walk” and “Social Gardens” concepts previously detailed by James Corner Field Operations, which designed New York City’s famous High Line. Amazon is funding the design work for the park, which is adjacent to its future HQ2.
The updated design is a “more social version” of the Forest Walk concept that was generally favored in the latest round of public feedback, designers said. It includes:
- Meandering paths
- A “hammock clearing” on the forest walk
- The possibility of public art along the paths
- An overlook
- A central green for gatherings and events
- A day care garden near HQ2
- A “meadow lounge”
- A play garden with playground equipment
- A “community table” for dining amid nature
- A cafe terrace
- A 4,000 square foot dog park with separate areas for large and small dogs
- An Amazon banana stand
The county and the designers are now gathering feedback on the synthesized design, before making some tweaks and creating a final design for consideration by the County Board in September.