This monthly column comes from the Arlington Community Federal Credit Union as part of their mission to financially empower the community. Credit unions are not-for-profit member-owned cooperatives and anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers, goes to school, or does business in Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria, or Fairfax County is eligible to join ACFCU.*
Consumers are starting to purchase vehicles again and now can be a good time to shop for a car.
Dealers are offering discounts to entice buyers, and financing options from financial institutions are very competitive. If you’re in the position to purchase a car, here are some things to consider:
- Research cars online first: Know what you’re looking for before you go to the dealership. Research quality, safety, features, price and value so you are prepared when you arrive.
- Compare protection plans and service options between the dealer and a financial institution: Financial institutions may offer options like warranties and GAP insurance that are significantly less expensive than coverage offered by dealerships.
- Shop around between dealerships: Compare cars at different dealerships and determine the “drive off price” of the ones you’re most interested in. Drive off price includes the list prices, processing fees, taxes, registration and more. If you have an existing car that you’re trading in, compare what different dealerships will offer.
- Maximize dealership perks: Dealers are trying to entice buyers to purchase right now and may offer the choice between 0% financing or a cash rebate. Compare that to financing offered by your financial institution. If your financial institution can give you a very low loan rate, it may be a better deal to choose the dealer’s rebate and finance with your credit union or bank. ACFCU offers a calculator to help you determine your best option. Some banks and credit unions may “rate match” if another financial institution quotes a lower rate.
- Shop around if you’re considering a lease: Some credit unions or banks may offer lease-like products with more flexibility and features than the dealerships. Compare options to seek out the most competitive payment scenario.
Not everyone is able to make a major purchase right now, but for those that are, this may be a good time to buy a new or “new-to-you” car. For more tips, contact the ACFCU Loan Advisors at 703-526-0200 option 2. Or apply online to get started, and one of our Advisors will reach out to you and help you through the process.
*Membership eligibility requirements apply. Federally insured by NCUA.
The $38 million transformation of the Washington-Liberty annex is nearly complete. Over the last three years, the nearly six-decade-old Arlington Education Center has undergone a complete overhaul to turn it…
A driver was nearly carjacked in a parking garage about a block from the Crystal City Metro station. The incident happened around 10:20 p.m. last night (Wednesday) on the 200…
Police have a suspect in custody after a man allegedly seen with a gun ran from officers in the Lyon Park area.
CarCare To Go, a full service shop provides convenience with free valet and simplicity to car repair with ongoing summer specials.
Do you struggle with anxiety, depression, stress, grief, trauma or anger? Are
you ready to make a change?
Lauren K. Nickum, LCSW, CSAC from Peaceful Mind Solutions is now taking new
clients for psychotherapy. Lauren has over 10 years of experience treating
mental health disorders and general life stress in adults and adolescents. For
more information visit
As the summer winds down, it’s a great time to look forward to a creative fall! Art House 7 has a terrific selection of classes, for preschoolers to adults. Our fall session, starting September 6, offers painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, ceramics (including the wheel) and sewing. We have specialty classes such as Suminagashi, the ancient art of Japanese water marbling.
If you’re looking for a shorter commitment, we also have a full schedule of workshops, Art Nights, and Morning Art Socials. If you haven’t discovered Art House 7, please check us out! We offer classes throughout the year, taught by a range of fantastic teachers. You can buy art supplies next door. We’re near the Lee Harrison shopping center, and free parking is outside our door.
Art House 7
5537 Langston Blvd.Arlington VA 22207
Have you ever considered purchasing a rental property but weren’t sure where to start? This free webinar will go over the basics of how to invest in real estate, how to choose rental properties, and a market overview. Our Director