I-66, Lee Highway and numerous local roads around Rosslyn will be temporarily blocked Sunday morning for the planned implosion of the former Holiday Inn hotel.
The 18-story hotel tower at 1900 N. Fort Myer Drive is set to come down around 8 a.m. Sunday “as safety, crowd control and weather conditions permit.” The implosion will make way for a new mixed-use development featuring a 25-story residential tower and a 38-story hotel tower.
Roads, including Lee Highway, will close around 6:30 a.m. Some will reopen by noon, while others are not expected to reopen until 6 p.m.
I-66 is set to be closed between Spout Run and the Roosevelt Bridge between 7:45-8:30 a.m. WTOP previously reported that crews will inspect the I-66 tunnel in Rosslyn for damage before the highway reopens.
Traffic on the Key Bridge, meanwhile, will be diverted onto the northbound GW Parkway until around 9 a.m., according to a new advisory from the Arlington County Police Department.
Gateway Park will be closed during the implosion, and ACPD says there “are no good viewing areas available to the public” to watch the event. The police department recommends that the public “avoid the area and watch local media coverage of the implosion.”
More from a police press release, including a detailed list of road closures, is below.
The former Holiday Inn – Rosslyn, located at 1900 Fort Myer Drive, will be demolished by implosion by Controlled Demolition Inc. on Sunday, December 13, 2020, at 8:00 AM or as soon after as safety and weather permits. For safety and control of the area, the streets surrounding the building will be closed by the Arlington County Police Department by 6:30 AM on December 13, 2020 (referred to as the Exclusion Zone).
Due to the configuration of the Exclusion Zone and scheduled road closures, there are no good viewing areas available to the public. Gateway Park, located at 1300 Lee Highway, is part of the Exclusion Zone and will be closed to pedestrian access during the event. Members of the public are encouraged to avoid the area and watch local media coverage of the implosion.
The Arlington County Police Department, Virginia State Police, and the Virginia Department of Transportation will conduct numerous road closures in the Rosslyn area to accommodate this event. The listed re-opening times are approximate and will be dictated by the site cleanup efforts. Other roads not listed below may be closed at law enforcement discretion. The public can anticipate an increase in maintenance equipment and vehicles in the area as cleanup efforts will last throughout the day.
The following roads in Arlington County will be affected:
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Lee Highway Eastbound from North Quinn Street to North Lynn Street
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Fort Myer Drive from Lee Highway Westbound to Wilson Boulevard
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. 19th Street North from North Lynn Street to Fort Myer Drive
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. North Nash Street from Fort Myer Drive to Key Boulevard
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. North Nash Street from Key Boulevard to Lee Highway Westbound
- 6:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. North Moore Street from 19th Street North to Lee Highway
- 6:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Lee Highway Westbound from North Lynn Street to North Oak Street
- 6:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Fort Myer Drive from GW Parkway to Lee Highway Westbound
- 6:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Key Boulevard from North Nash Street to North Oak Street
- 6:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. North Nash Street from Key Boulevard to Wilson Boulevard
- 6:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Colonial Terrace – Residents Only
- 6:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. Key Bridge diverted onto GW Parkway Northbound
- 7:45 a.m.-8:30 a.m. I-66 Eastbound Closed at Exit 72 Lee Highway / Spout Run
- 7:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m. I-66 Eastbound ramp closed for Exit 73 Rosslyn / Key Bridge
- 7:45 a.m.-8:30 a.m. I-66 Westbound Closed at TR Bridge traffic diverted to GW Parkway or Route 50, Route 110 Closed at Memorial Circle
- 7:45 a.m.-10:00 a.m. I-66 Westbound ramp closed for Exit 73 Lee Highway / Rosslyn / Key Bridge
Street parking in the area will be restricted and motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs. Illegally parked vehicles will be ticketed and towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call the Emergency Communications Center at 703-558-2222.
Discover how to save energy and receive a free energy conservation kit in the latest Rethink Energy.
It was a busy news week in Arlington, and next week — with County Board meetings on tap today and Tuesday — should stay busy. For those who have been…
Tucked away in an Arlington County storage facility is a shattered Tiffany Studios stained glass window of Jesus Christ in the act of blessing those who gaze on him. For…
Dropping nearly 40 feet from a platform above, a climber cut the ribbon on the “finest ropes course in the Mid-Atlantic.” Located at Upton Hill Regional Park on Wilson Blvd…