(Updated at 11 a.m.) Arlington firefighters battled an electrical fire at the Falls Green apartments in Falls Church early Thursday evening.
The blaze sent flames shooting out of a sewer drain adjacent to a pair of parked cars and one of the apartment towers, on the 500 block of Roosevelt Blvd near the Eden Center, as seen in photos subsequently posted by the fire department.
The sound of explosions could also be heard, according to ARLnow staff photographer Jay Westcott.
At least part of the apartment complex was evacuated amid a large fire department response. Initially, the fire was believed to have been fed by a natural gas leak, but it was later determined to have started in an underground electrical vault.
Shortly before 5 p.m., firefighters reported that the fire had apparently extinguished itself, though smoke could still be seen rising in front of the apartment building. No injuries were reported.
Arlington County provides firefighting services to the City of Falls Church.
Photo from the scene at yesterday's underground electrical vault fire. Many thanks to our partners at @FallsChurchGov, @washingtongas, @DominionEnergy and @ffxfirerescue for the assist in bringing the dangerous situation to a safe conclusion. pic.twitter.com/9MR0ZtUfcC
— Arlington Fire & EMS (@ArlingtonVaFD) April 2, 2021
Arlington residents say they are being plagued by mysterious bug bites featuring unusual red splotches that are itchier than those left by typical summer suckers. A Facebook group, “Arlington Neighbors…
It’s long past time to get big money out of our politics in Virginia.
A bicyclist has suffered potentially life-threatening injuries after a crash 2-3 blocks from Yorktown High School.
As the fiscal year for Arlington County approaches, take a look back on the economic development of 2021 in the latest Biz Talk.