This regularly scheduled sponsored column is written by the Arlington Initiative to Rethink Energy team (AIRE). This county program helps you make smart energy decisions that save you money and leaves a lighter footprint on the environment.
Most of us want to do something to reduce our contribution to climate change, but many aren’t sure where to start. The good news is that there are many actions you can take. But which ones have the most impact and can get you to carbon neutrality at home?
In this FREE webinar, the second in the Getting to Carbon Neutrality series, experts will describe the basics of zero-carbon buildings and how to transform your home and other buildings to reach the goal of carbon neutrality.
Learn how energy efficiency improvements and electrification of your heating systems, water heaters, and appliances can reduce emissions while saving money and improving comfort in your home.
- Thursday, November 4, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Via Zoom — Registration Required
- Register for free by 9 a.m. on November 4
- Helen Reinecke-Wilt, Arlington County Sustainability Planner — Green Home Choice Program and other Arlington initiatives
- Sandra Leibowitz, Founder and Owner, Sustainable Design Consulting LLC — retrofitting our homes and buildings to be zero carbon or zero energy
- Scott Donelson, President Home Energy Medics LLC — practical tips for homeowners and renters on improving energy efficiency and shifting away from natural gas systems and appliances
- Carl Elefante, Past President, American Institute of Architects — rethinking community development for an equitable post-carbon world
- Joan Kelsch, former Green Building Program Manager at Arlington County
- 7-8 p.m. — Introductions, presentations and moderated panel discussion
- 8-8:30 p.m. — Audience Q&A
There will also be an optional tour of zero carbon buildings in Arlington on Saturday, November 6.
Take a tour of two zero-carbon buildings in Arlington on Saturday, November 6 with Scott Sklar. The tour led by Scott Sklar will primarily cover the outside of two self-powered buildings. Both buildings are on the same property and the tour will last approximately one hour.
- Two tour options — 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Each tour will last approximately one hour
- Option available when registering for the webinar
- Tour — Registration Required
The week started as summer and is ending, unmistakably, as fall. On the plus side, we have a stretch of crisp, sunny days ahead, with the exception of some rain…
A 5 BD/2 BA home with a light-filled den and screened back porch is included in Open Houses.
Early voting got off to a muted start today (Thursday) at the Arlington County government headquarters in Courthouse. “We had a line of five voters when we opened at 8…
Wakefield High School and Claremont Elementary School were secured today in response to reports of gunfire in nearby Bailey’s Crossroads.
Now you can have fun with your family and friends when deciding where to eat!
Just hop aboard The Lunch Train and set the destination for: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or nightlife!
– No app necessary. Simply go to the website if you’d like!
– No account necessary
– Use your current location or a desired location
– Add restaurants you’re interested in, invite your friends, and play the game!
Lyon Park & Ashton Heights’ biennial home & garden biennial tour is back. The tour will include contemporary custom homes, older historic bungalows as well as renovated properties. One of the stunning homes on the tour is pictured above. In addition to beautiful & unique homes, the Villa & Vistas ’22 event will conclude with a festive reception at the Lyon Park Community Center at 414 N Fillmore Street, Arlington VA 22201. What could be better right?
All proceeds from this event will go to the Lyon Park Citizens Association (LPCA) towards our neighborhood jewel & hub, the Lyon Park Community Center (LPCC).
When: Sunday, October 2nd, Noon – 4 PM.
Where: Meet to get your tickets and the tour map at the Lyon Park Community Center (414 N Fillmore Street) We will have a table with information outside.
Are you ready to jump into homeownership or started considering it but don’t know where to start? Financial preparation is key when thinking about purchasing your first home and the first step to getting pre-approved. Join ACFCU for our Homebuying